Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Indian Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,702Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  9:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought all of the below coins for about a dollar each and was given a little information about each one. But any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

1 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11mm

2 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 12mm

3 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11.5mm

4 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11mm

5 - Lead coin, from Ikshvaku Dynasty, Andhra Pradesh, 227-306 AD, elephant on obverse, Ujjain symbol on reverse. 12mm.

6 - Tamil-Nadu, Chola Dynasty, Ruler: Rajara Chola "Massa", 985-1014 AD. 17mm.

7 - Copper Coin, AD 1500's? 17mm diameter, 5.6mm thick.

8 - Copper Coin, Tamil? 1700's? 15mm.

9 - Copper Coin, Tamara Raja? 15mm.

10 - Copper Coin. 18mm. There appears to be a cross on one side with smaller crosses in each of the four fields.

11 - Copper, 10.5mm. Danish India?

Learn More...
United States
23147 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please only post one or two coins per thread.

The first two coins are either later Mauryan or early Gupta empire Circa 180's BC.
Learn More...
United States
16698 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jay1234, posting fewer coins in one thread would be helpful. Also, removing them from their 2x2s before taking pics would be helpful as the glare from the plastic film washes out the details.

Finally, with respect to that lead coin, here is a link for a similar one for sale on vcoins. The description attributes it as "Michael Mitchiner, The Coinage and History of Southern India I, pp. 100-101."

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ga...Default.aspx

Interestingly, I don't find that coin as having been posted here on CCF previously. Thanks for sharing!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses. Sorry, I didn't realize that I should only post in one or two coins per thread. Should I take this delete this post and post separately with better pics?
Learn More...
United States
16698 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is @echizento's call, but how about posting new pics, a couple coins at a time, within this thread? With clearer pics, we could probably, for example, figure out which one of these is your last coin:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...&p=1&x=0&y=0
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. Here are the first 2 coins. I took much better photos...

1 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11mm. After looking up Mauryan or early Gupta coins it appears that this coin has a caduceus on the obverse right and on the reverse. Also looks like a dharma chakra on the bottom right obverse.

2 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 12mm. This coin has a caduceus on the obverse right and on the reverse.

Learn More...
United States
23147 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's OK this time.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3rd and 4th coins below.

3 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11.5mm

4 - Punch Mark Copper Coin, 1st Century AD, 11mm

Learn More...
United States
23147 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't have to repost the same pictures.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was taking Spence's suggestion and posting better/clearer photos...
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5th and 6th coins below.

5 - Lead coin, from Ikshvaku Dynasty, Andhra Pradesh, 227-306 AD, elephant on obverse, Ujjain symbol on reverse. 12mm.

6 - Tamil-Nadu, Chola Dynasty, Ruler: Rajara Chola "Massa", 985-1014 AD. 17mm.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5117 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group of South Asian coins there. At a buck each, I'd say you did great. Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
16698 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jay, a coin similar to #6 has been posted here on CCF before. Compare your coin with the one on this thread:

http://goccf.com/t/302349

At first, I was excited because it looked like a so-called Octopus Man, but upon closer examination and comparison with my Lapa reference, I don't think that I was right.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence - I think this may actually be an octopus man coin. I never heard of that type until your post but after googling a whole bunch of images I think this may be one. I marked up and rotated the photos I previously posted and added a very similar looking coin (although it's silver) below. Let me know what you think...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1939 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's my example with the OP coin..SRI RAJA RAJA in Brahmi in two vertical lines..
Learn More...
United States
16698 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok nice. I stand corrected--that does look like an Octopus Man now the images are right-side up.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,702Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05