Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is With The Grading Of George V Nickels?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  10:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see many slabbed 5 cent Canada coins 1922-36 that to me are way over-graded. XF-AU ones being the worst. Here is just one example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-193...AOSwtcRb52Jb

I would only call this one VF, base of crown almost GONE!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7543 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 GeorgeV nickels are notoriously weakly struck, it's often a challenge to find well struck examples.

#2 NGC and PCGS have a reputation for overgrading most circulated Canadian coins.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John...I agree with you...I would only go VF on that. Wow...what an eye opener...buy the coin not the slab.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3033 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arguably the hardest series of Canada Coins to grade .
A lot of collectors confuse weak strike , with excessive wear.
Serious collectors of this series will stick to old 2 letter ICCS graded coins
AND learn the series inside and out before dropping big money on any of
The 1922 to 1936 Nickels. Some dates with strong Obverse strikes and
In Gem BU are virtually NON existent. You can throw trends or Catalogue
out the window when they show .
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found this one on eBay and bought it. From the pictures I would much rather own this one than the "AU55" shown in first picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-CANAD....m2749.l2649
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39335 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not being a student of this series, I must admit to the OP's coin being a head-scratcher for sure.
Valued Member
Canada
382 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the series well and have sent many for ICCS grading. The key is lustre. If the coin has uninterrupted lustre - full cartwheel lustre - it'll be MS. If it has impaired lustre it'll be AU or slightly lower. I've seen lots of weakly struck specimens get MS grades and they deserved them. The lustre was intact.
Valued Member
Canada
382 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And not to be difficult but I have absolutely had it with American TPG's grading Canadian coins. If you have a great Canadian nickel send it to ICCS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tamarin, for those of us in the States, shipping cost and turnaround time because of shipping hinder using ICCS or CCCS.
I agree that ICCS is much more consistent than PCGS or NGC. Cost, turnaround time, and the hard plastic holders are the big selling points for PCGS and NGC. I wish ICCS could be persuaded to open a shipping address at Niagara Falls NY for US submissions.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05