Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Way To Clean Silver Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a lot of tarnished silver dimes and quarters. I soaked them in acetone for 24 hours and didn't make much if any difference. I have seen people on YouTube using baking soda, will that ruin a coin or if I send one in to grade, will they be able to tell if it has been cleaned with baking soda? Or is there a better way?
Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just dont clean my coins, believe me, they're collectors out there who are willing to pay big bucks for those crusty looking coins. The crustier the better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some have said, that dipping is ok but only for a second or two and will not affect numist value..But unless you know what you are doing..I wouldn't try it on anything other than cull coins. You ask what do they dip it in? I'm not sure..something called e-z...something.. Wait for a pro to jump in..Yes.,TPG can tell a baking soda cleaning..
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to check them for errors and they are too tarnished. I can't see the details I need to. I just buy them in bulk frequently to keep for their silver content and I've tried 5 different dealers. 2 of them consistently send me nice coins that I have found errors on but I have a lot from the others that look horrible and can't even put under the microscope. So I'm going to clean them one way or another whether it's just to store them or to look for errors.
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just WAIT until a pro can get on here with resources. I have my ways, but their not 'good' or 'appropriate' to share. My way can really screw up a coin and I don't want to be blamed.

But seriously, don't clean nothing until you get some pro feedback and resources. Cleaning coins can decimate the value, regardless of errors sometimes.
1. I'm no expert but I'll give my two cents.

2.My favorite coin so far: 1913 Buffalo nickel matte proof type II reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried the "search box"...type in something like "best way to conserve silver coins" and see what pops up..
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15552 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NC808:

You may wish to post a picture of the silver coin, which you think most needs to be cleaned.
Having said that, I would be surprised if any of us here would recommend that it should be cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28044 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
e Z est is the name of the dip. If I remember right,the 3 TPG's have an electronic sniffer that will detect a cleaning. Baking soda will scratch the heck out of it. And if you are talking about baking soda and aluminum and hot water,well that is still a dip. If you want to try out a certain cleaning method,do it on a junk coin and not one you are thinking of slabbing.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15552 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have cleaned lots of low value silver coins that are also in EF or less condition, and where most of the luster has gone,
in good old soap 'n water, rinsed, pat dried.

Don't ever touch proof coins like this, even if they have horrible toning.
Leave all AU or better coins well alone,
except for an acetone bath, irrespective of their value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18146 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that tarnishing, toning, corroding, etc. on Silver coins has been a chemical reaction of something with the Silver. Removing such reactive features also removes some of the metal. This is one of the reasons people do not appreciate cleaning Silver coins.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11011 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing for sure do not use baking soda on any coin no matter what the metal composition is . Acetone will not remove tarnish on silver coins . The safest way to do that is with the E-Z-est Dip . But because it will remove a micro layer of metal from the coin I Will only dip an uncirculated coin with tarnish and for only 2 or 3 seconds . Over dipping will cause coin to look dull .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See? Now you have lots of info. I'll add to the others and say, if you try to clean a good looking coin, even if you dip it for more than 3 seconds (like T said) then it'll remove top layer...this layer is where the luster is, the pinwheel, the curves and intricacies of the strike! That's why cleaned coins look...bleh.

Sel_69I had a lot of fantastic advice in (his?) post.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks guys. All of these are only worth their silver content unless I find an error or something. I'll post a pic of the first batch of dimes I experimented with using acetone so you can see what they look like. If I use EZest, do you recommend rinsing with distilled water immediately after dipping? And can you dip it multiple times if still dirty as long as you do it for a few seconds at a time and let dry in between dipping?

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, each subsequent dip will dull the coin. If at the very least the risk goes up.

Distilled water followed by a dry and the. One final 100% acetone dip.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37931 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a lot of effort, but good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15962 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good old coffee can stash. Probably silver value only, except the Mercury are worth a more detailed date/mm search.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05