Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marcus Aurelius, Caesar, Denarius. 146-147 Ad? Need Help Identifying

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eric ramsdell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this one I'm confused on
it has the design of the TR POT II COS II but has TR POT III marking on the reverse not sure anyone have any ideas

Edited by eric ramsdell
07/09/2019 01:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1581 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's wildwinds example..
Marcus Aurelius as Caesar, AR denarius, Rome. Struck under Antoninus Pius. Obverse..AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG P II F, bare head right.
Reverse..TR POT III COS II, Minerva standing right, holding spear and resting hand on shield. RIC 444[pius]; RSC 618; Sear 4787 var (tribunal year).
Nice looking coin you have there...
Edited by Palouche
07/09/2019 02:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16020 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something about the style of the obverse portrait is confusing me.
Does the style suggest that it is from a mint other than Rome?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1581 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel I'm not sure but I thought all his denarius, at least the early ones, were minted in Rome? but I'm probably wrong...
I found another example over on vcoins actually attributed incorrectly but clearly the same TRPOTIII COSII and seems closer in style to the OP coin...Maybe its just different engravers but I'm not really sure...Hopefully one of the Roman experts will step in...Paul
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16020 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palouche:-
Excellent little investigation; I agree with all that you have said
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eric ramsdell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have compared several different examples of the TROPOT II and TROPOT III but cant seem to find and exact match could it just be a mid coin maybe struck right after the TROPOT II with a different die?

Here is a better picture with less glare
Edited by eric ramsdell
07/11/2019 10:21 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05