Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1904 And 1895 S $20 Gold Anything Stand Out To You?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  1:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know the pictures are terrible, but is there anything that stands out to any of you as obvious fakes? Seller says he got them from his 90 year old grandfather who passed away a few weeks ago.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37967 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remove the coins from the holders, then show larger and sharper images of both sides.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I dont have them, these are the only pics the seller has. He clearly doesn't know what they are at all so I took a small gamble on them at and extremely low price.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15962 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The strange toning, rarely seen on most gold coins, rings a warning bell for me. It's impossible to say from those photos.

If it seems to be too good to be true...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, you got them?
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I bought both of them. And most of my other cherrypicks seem too good to be true, but they've all worked out well for me. I just got these because they were really cheap, the seller didn't even know what they were, just listed the as "Old Gold 1904 & 1895 Coins", and they look promising to me. Either way, at the price I got them, I would be happy with them as display pieces if they turn out to be fake. And they weren't from eBay, they were from another selling site, where people can easily list thing without fee's or doing much work. I prefer places like that to cherrypick because people on there tend to do little to no research on coins that they sell.
Edited by CherryPicker1
07/10/2019 4:37 pm
Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cant wait to see them when you get them in hand
Pillar of the Community
United States
4440 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was it a coinbook pickup?
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2257 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just got these because they were really cheap, the seller didn't even know what they were, just listed the as "Old Gold 1904 & 1895 Coins", and they look promising to me. Either way, at the price I got them, I would be happy with them as display pieces if they turn out to be fake

i hope you have a follow up contact if they prove to be gold, and make it right with the person who sold them to you..

just because someone doesn't know what they are selling doesn't make it ok to take advantage of them..

Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silverwolf I completely agree, especially because it was a family item.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nevertheless the come-on line is as old as the hills. You know the drill. Take them to your LCS and have them make an offer. Mine does it in about 30 seconds. They checked gold content on the last Eagles I sold them, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now is a good time to sell.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/10/2019 7:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conveniently, I was planning on buying my first US gold coin, a $20 Gold Liberty in a few weeks at a coin show when gold prices hopefully go down a bit. I'll probably keep at least one of the if they turn out to be real.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2257 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

did these end up being real. ? thought we would have heard from you one way or another..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37967 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good question!
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I haven't given any update in a while, there's been a bit of confusion with payment and shipping, but I should be getting them on Monday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8944 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05