Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954 $1000 Bill - Which Would You Keep?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
292 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cookiecutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'll be getting rid of one of my 1954 $1000 bills. Neither are in pristine condition, or even very fine condition. I just want one for my collection and I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions on if they're worth keeping.

One has a repeating serial number 1338338

The other is in slightly better condition but whose serial number is completely random.

Is it better to keep the repeating serial number even though it's in slightly worse condition?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37968 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine it makes much difference, but I'd keep the best condition note.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15558 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In making a decision to keep or move it on, two factors need to be considered:
1. The inflation rate over the long term (guesstimate arounf -3% per year)
2. The likelyhood of increasing value collector premium over $1,000, due to increasing collector demand, year on year.

I am unfamiliar with the investment market in high denomination U.S. bill,s but I have a feeling that if you keep it , you are going to be on the loosing side of the equation.

That is one of the major reasons why high denomination bills tend to be rare. They tend to be surrendered for payment, due to the possibility of value loss.

Still has to be your decision.
Valued Member
Canada
443 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you are going to be on the loosing side of the equation...That is one of the major reasons why high denomination bills tend to be rare
or rarely kept in a collection (unless Original TPG in EF- GEM UNC) which are usually Devil's Face series (or earlier) for most advanced collectors.

Sure three are lots of Canadians who have circulated one thousand dollar notes in their SDB (Safe Deposit Box) but that doesn't mean they're necessarily collectible (or rare).

IMO:
In Fine condition? Both notes can be put to much better exchanged for gold, bitcoin or used to buy something really collectible (lower denomination in higher grade). Although the CDN market still seems rather brisk to me (I would put the money in a few nice world notes) there are still some great deals on eBay for 1937 to the Journey series.
Valued Member
Canada
292 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiecutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the opinions. I hadn't even really considered the implications of a long term investment in the terms set out, particularly since they weren't in very fine condition. I wasn't sure if they were worth keeping or not. I think I'm going to certainly get rid of one.

Thanks again. As always, very informative and educational.

Valued Member
Canada
443 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4xAJGQ6sQsg
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05