Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  6:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ryanandfamily5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just was curious if the mint mark on this coin is higher-than-normal it stood out to me when I was searching through my change just curious if anyone has an opinion about the placement of the mint mark
Not to throw out a full list about this coin just looking for others opinions when you look at the date if you look close enough do you notice above the visible date there is a 9 + 8 + a 0 faintly above 1970 also is the FG on the reverse side considered visible it doesn't even look like you could see the f and the g looks like a c and when you look at the penny from distance away you can't even tell it's there
also on the reverse side when you look at America does it seem like there's doubling anywhere in that area because to me it looks like around the A&m something seems like it used to be there and has been stamped over or covered up
on the reverse side the picture that shows the steps is that a letter drop or is it a number drop looks like a d possibly a circle and not to sound odd but if you look close enough it almost seems like take the picture and look at it sideways and possibly could be a faintimage of a person I don't know for sure so I'm hoping anybody that has any thoughts or opinions may be able to help me I am fairly new turn the coin hunting and collecting hobby and watching YouTube clips on coin hunting and errors seems like anything could be a possibility for those who may respond I appreciate you taking the time to read and help me out thank you

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42725 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintmarks were still being punched by hand during this era, so many different locations are common.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/11/2019 6:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop and rotate properly before posting. Thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16096 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a regular cent with maybe some die chips or die cracks, worth 1 cent. KEEP LOOKING! :)
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how collectible it is but there has to be people out there looking for identifiable examples of different die pairs of any given year, which this would be. Everyone collects differently.
Fairly certain you couldn't really sell it at a coin shop but if you put a few different ones together, various mint mark locations, I'm sure you could probably make $5-$10 on ebay depending on how far you were to go with it from someone out there.

The FG is there, I don't see a "980" around the date area at all in these pictures. And I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary for a circulated coin around the "AM" in these pictures.

It is an example of a specific die pair, but die pair collecting is kind of a niche interest in the hobby, not many people paying that much attention to specific details on common coins. Some researcher/cataloger type person would probably have interest though.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/12/2019 07:54 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05