Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia - Shipping And Packaging Recommendations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  05:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Fairly new to coin collecting and starting to sell some coins on Ebay to fund more 2x2 and coin folders

Would like everyone's opinion on the recommended way of shipping and packaging any sold coins on Ebay.

Examples of different price range, cheapest options and where can I buy the items recommended.

Please note that I'm living in Perth, Australia.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations
Pillar of the Community
United States
4116 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone has their own comfort zone.

Mine happens to be $10 or less.
That means I'll pop a coin worth less than $10 into an envelope and ship without tracking (well protected in a 2x2 and sandwiched between two pieces of envelope-sized thin cardboard).
That comes out to less than 2 ounces.
In the US I can ship that for 99.
To Canada I can ship it for $1.50.
For the rest of the world I can ship it for $2.50.

BUT there are many countries I will not ship to at all.
Nowhere in Asia except Japan.
Nowhere in South or Central America.
Nowhere in eastern Europe nor to a large part of the rest of Europe.

It's not the people.
It's that there are too many postal systems that are not trustworthy.

If the item is more expensive ($10 to $20) then most times I'll ship with tracking.
But that means a package, not an envelope.
Problem is that the postal cost jumps considerably.

And above $20 I'll add insurance possibly with signature confirmation.
Now the cost of shipping really gets larger.

It boils down to what chances you are willing to take.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
07/14/2019 10:10 am
Valued Member
Australia
226 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its Aussie coins then probably best to ship to Australia only.
Send everything registered.
Aust Post padded bags are OK and cheaper to buy in bulk.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3148 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I learned a few tricks from various sellers to be honest.

Buying padded envelops are great but keep in mind that they do add to cost. I personally like to salvage any bubble wrap envelops that I receive and reuse them - they actually do a similar job and you are doing buyers a favor as well.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Thanks for the info, just to get a better idea.

1) Do you always bubble wrap your coins?

2) Do you put in ziplock bag to prevent water damage?

Thanks
Valued Member
Australia
226 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bubble wrap is good but not necessary.
If the coin is sandwiched with cardboard then thats enough.
Best way is to do both though.

Water damage is not really an issue.

Edited by echidna
07/16/2019 05:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2413 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're using paper or cardboard envelopes, then putting the coins in zip lock bags is a good idea. If using plastic envelopes then maybe not needed, but I still use them.
I had an envelope get wet somehow in transit once and the coins could have got wet if it wasn't for the bags. It was so badly soaked that the recipient's name and address had all run and was unreadable. Fortunately a different pen was used to fill in the shipping declaration, that was stuck to the back of the envelope and it was able to be returned to me.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 13,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the comments.

Will the bubble warp adds thickness or weight to the envelop making it more expensive to deliver?

Also when you mentioned sandwich between cardboard, do you have any link or example of where you brought it or use so I can have a better idea without making assumption.

Sorry for the "silly" questions, just trying to keep any future coin buyers happy.

Thanks
Valued Member
Australia
226 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the cardboard sandwich you can get blank greeting cards.
A6 size is good.

Bubble wrap is very time consuming to cut up etc.
Much better to use padded bags.
Very cheap in bulk from Aust Post and stationary places.

Valued Member
Germany
424 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also when you mentioned sandwich between cardboard, do you have any link or example of where you brought it or use so I can have a better idea without making assumption.

I also put coins between cardboard, usually thick(er) one. It makes the package more stable and you can't ''feel'' (or recognize, touch) that there are coins inside.
I have never bought cardboard. I just re-use it from packages send to me (or my neighbour who really likes shopping online) or from cardboard boxes at supermarks. (example: milk is packaged in cardboxes of 10 one liter tetra paks here in Germany; these cardboxes are pretty stable). I just clip the cardboard as I need it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05