Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Octagonal Token, Medal, Game Piece? Thoughts Appreciated!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,454Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  11:41 am Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a recent acquisition. I think it is Japanese, but not 100% sure. Could be a token, medal, game piece, other? I am not really sure. It is 28.7mm in diameter and weighs 15.2g. As usual, any thoughts regarding attribution, age, rarity, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering if anyone might know the meaning of the character on the token, and / or if it is Japanese, Chinese, Korean, other? Thank you for your consideration.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I would throw the line in on this one again. Looks like the fish might be biting! Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@litp, I have really sunk some serious time into this one and found nothing.

I agree most likely Japanese, but I have also searched using keywords China and KOREA. The character in the center seemingly isn't a hit for my google translator in any of those languages though. Perhaps it is too stylized?

Knowing the type of flower would also be a nice clue. Maybe a chrysanthemum?

Finally, I wonder if you could do me a favor. I'm wondering if the original piece was octagonal. Can examine the edges for evidence of filing or grinding? In particular, the side at the bottom of the first pic looks damaged slightly. Also, can you please measure the lengths of the sides to confirm that they are all the same? From the pics, it looks a little bit like they were done free-hand. If this piece wasn't originally made with this shape, then that would be nice to know. Thx!

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, thank you Spence for all the time and hard work. It looks to me to have been die cut. No obvious filing, and the four sides of the octagon measure approximately 29mm across in diameter. The damage on the bottom appears to be a rim bump. The flower could definitely be a chrysanthemum. One additional thought, could it be a weight of some kind? Thanks again for all your efforts. Looking forward to whatever you turn up.

Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes those edges look sheared off (as opposed to being sawed, ground, or filed, so most likely by whoever made this piece rather than later on. I'm not so sure about it being a coin weight, but honestly don't have a better explanation. I'm trying to be diligent about giving this subforum some attention, so will definitely come back to this occasionally.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Spence. I think the symbol in the middle is the key. Maybe someone will recognize it or at least what language it is in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those would be cherry blossoms (sakura blossoms) right?
Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good call--I think you are right @gincoin43!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05