Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999-2000 Millennium Coin Help.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RussianDD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
New to coin collecting. I have inherited lots of coins and trying to organize them; therefore, lots of questions. Ill try to keep questions simple and short for clarity, as well as, organization.

Currently, how should I organize the 1999-2000 Millennium collection? I have lots of both years. Should I keep one set and simply roll them? They are circulated but I have many grades. Non have papers to prove auth or grading quality. What should I be doing? One day the millennium coins will be worth something to someone as it is a very important time in history according to the calendar.

Any advice? Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
966 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI RussianDD, welcome to the forum.

For those years there was around 700,000,000 millennium quarters produced, unless they are very high grade mint state coins, they are unlikely to be worth much more than $0.25. Check out http://www.coinsandcanada.com, as there are a couple valuable errors.

If it was me I would keep a couple sets and roll the rest to be either returned to bank or local coin club to see if anyone interested. Unless of course they have sentimental value.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RussianDD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent that is the answer I am looking for. I do go to coins and Canada often and other sites but I get a variance in values. I also get a variance in values between what people sell for VS book values.

I will keep several sets for myself and roll the rest.

Any advice on the 125 year Canada anniversaries 25cent collection? Some coins are boasting a $19.00 value at Canada and Coin currency.

Why are these coins worth so much from that site? Is it like Real Estate, the values are more subjective in which the value is based on 'what ever someone is willing to pay'?
I also see Ebay sellers, selling coins far above there value from coins and Canada site so now I am more confused than ever!

Thanks again for your advice.
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
966 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same with 1992 25 cent's, huge production, minimal upside, except for a few errors or very high grade coins.

On the coins and canada site you see a section that says "Auction Prices", this is what "graded" coins are actually selling for on ebay. "Graded" means certified by certain 3rd party companies (ICCS, CCCS, NGC, PCGS, ANACS are generally the more reputable ones), which usually costs $7-$50. Grading is not a necessity, but can help make a sale easier online (not always). This makes many coins un-economical to grade.

The basic listed prices you see in the "Price Guides and Values" section is what we refer to as "catalog" or "trends" pricing. There is a lot disagreement as to how accurate these prices are, see some of the other threads in this part of forum around trends/catalog pricing. Some would argue these prices reflect the true value of the coin, while others believe they are unrealistic, inflated values. I generally think these prices are overestimated by 30%-60% in most cases. When you look at regular auction prices, this generally holds true. Some set a high price to give them space in negotiating.

Remember there is a huge difference between what people ask and what something sells for, I always recommend using actual auction prices. For most coins 1968+, you can sell Mint State coins for 2-5x face, but you will not likely have a huge volume. For example, I sell some coins from 2010+ on ebay for 2-5x face (basically enough to make it worthwhile and cover transaction costs), but only sell 1-2 per month. For example I'll list a 2014 loonie for $3+shipping, no real profit, but hopefully can help someone can fill out their collection.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05