Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1638-42 Charles I Shilling - Aberystwyth S2884?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
16 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add richtea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
(Disclosure: I'm not a hammered expert!)

I found this interesting oddity which, although heavily clipped, appears to be a Charles I shilling.

According to Spink catalogue it's probably one of S2881 - S2884, but my copy (the 2018 book) only has an image of S2881 & S2884, and it doesn't quite match either:
- no plume to the left of the bust, but then again the obverse is very weak
- the XII figures are larger than either S2881 and S2884
- the reverse below the crown has a different design - it has scrolls between the centre design and the crown above
- there is no beading separating the letters from the central design on either face (S2881 has no beading, but S2882-2884 do)
- the obverse crown on the kings head looks like 2881

However, I have no other reference book to help me get a better understanding of it.
Can anyone pin it down a little closer, or advise on where to get more informaton?

Weight: 4.36g
Diameter: 26-28mm

Thanks in advance...

Photos against Spink book:

Edited by richtea
07/17/2019 5:02 pm
United Kingdom
16 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richtea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And S2881 for comparison (no beading around centre):

Valued Member
United Kingdom
261 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  04:04 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also am no expert on hammered coins - particularly of Charles I!

Looking in Spink and comparing with your pictures, it doesn't look to be an Aberystwyth coin to me. The bust does not seem right, the lack of crown over the shield, the missing plume before the bust...
From the description (no picture) S2791, or around that area, looks more possible? But as I understand it there are many more variations than Spink lists and I don't have (or even know of) a better book.
If you get no luck here try the hammered section on Predecimal.com - there are a few contributors there who really know their hammered silver.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05