Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Tools Or Equipment

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tridmn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do I need one of those coin magnifies? Ik the quality is better. Do I actually need one though? Will I be able to make my images small enough size to go by guidelines here for 300kb?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
7021 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  01:32 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's always better to get the best you can afford, don't worry about the 300kb size, larger image files are better, you can always crop the image or use an editing program (Photoshop, or similar freeware) to resize the images for the web (CCF also provides an optimizer app on the upload area that works nicely. Sometimes you want the size to show off a smaller area enlarged. There are many USB camera microscopes that work quite nice these days for little cost. You really don't need as much magnification as most people think, my main loupe (magnifying glass) for visual is a 7x, even when I'm using my stereoscope I'm under 10x 90% of the time. The 200x is way, way too much for all but extreme close ups of mint marks, I find. When I use my DSLR my main two lenses are a 100mm macro and a 75mm lens on a bellows for real close-ups (that lets me shoot at around 2.5x) which I can crop down for varieties I'm shooting. 95% of the time I use the 100mm at about 10-12" away which is just enough to fill my camera frame with a Morgan dollar, for smaller coins I can just lower the camera to around 6-8" from the coin.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5950 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the best moderately-priced setup for coin photography is descrbed in this thread:

http://goccf.com/t/158182

That thread started long ago, so look towards the end for more modern suggestions.

I use a setup similar to that for my coin photos. With that setup, a 4x to 5x microscope objective is plenty for most closeups of mintmarks, etc. For whole coin photos, I also use a 75mm bellows lens.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tridmn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My issue with equipment is I'm on a fixed income. I have some magnifying glasses, but that's all I've been able to get thus far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7021 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you need a camera? Is it for taking photos to share with others? Selling? what type of photos do you want to make, extreme close ups, overall full coin images, pretty pictures? There is a lot of different ways to go into photography. You can get inexpensive older used digital cameras that still work just fine too, but to recommend what is best we need to know what your end goal is.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05