Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Mint Sewn Bags Be The Best Way To Find A Nice Off Center Coin?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi.

Been thinking about this a while now. Mint bags of coins aren't that common anymore, but I do see them on ebay. I know a nice off centered coin is going to be too large to find in rolls and the rolking machines I think would likely reject them also.

Would those older mint sewn bags ( like the $50 in pennies) be the best way to hunt for one if the bag could be gotten at a reasonable price and you could tell it was original of course? How about those bags the mint sells direct? Any chance for oddities to come out of those?

The off center strike coins have always interested me... as far as how the heck do they end up turning up for people to find. I've come down to 2 options, those mint sewn bags, or people working at the armored carriers are pulling them out of the machines as they get rejected.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/18/2019 07:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28445 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pre 2001 bags have possibilities. Starting in 2002 the mint heightened their QC.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11202 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your correct in your assumption that mint sewn bags would be better than rolls in finding off centered coins . But finding a genuine bag with all the right markers can be a task .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years I have only gone through five or six mint sewn bags.
The dates were from 1959 to 1995. Out of up to 30,000 coins searched I didn't find a single off center. Not to burst your bubble because there were many other worthy scores, just no off centers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39288 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've searched 4-5 bags over the years with very little luck, but it's always an intriguing idea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool enough to find my thoughts and the opinions of yall line up, the mint sewn bags. I know it's going to be a long shot of finding one if I do pull the trigger on buying a bag but at least I can be a bit more confident on what to look for, of course I'l still do my homework on whether it is legit or not before I buy and do my best to not get ripped off, and possibly hold out for a date with decent varieties maybe 1983 for transitional or DDO. maybe San Fran 1970 if that appears.... 1960... there's options I think if they come available, but "knowledge is half the battle" right? Thanks guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4107 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used to be that searching mint-sewn bags was well worth while.
(Key phrase, "Used to be...")
And that meant ALL the way to the bottom in the corners and around the seams.
Some really strange things were found that way.

Probably not worth the effort anymore.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22893 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say yes, since that's how Off Center Strikes are found in the first place.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BK , I just wanted to add that your guess that some errors come from the people that would run the machines that sort and roll the bags is correct.
Years ago a coin shop that I frequented had bought a collection from the family of a man that had run one of these machines. There was a bag full of off center , nicely cupped die caps , and clips.
All of it was moving along to another dealer so I couldn't purchase anything. My favorite thing there was a cent that had the remnants of a die cap struck around and fused to the new cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38683 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But not always a guarantee.
The good thing about mint bags is that if you find a major variety in them, they are a great deal.
The bad thing about mint bags is that if you don't find a find a major variety in them that sucks. Sure you can search the whole bag, but they are usually the examples of the machines running at that time. So basically they will be the same examples of the dies you've probably discovered so far in the bag. But as for errors, they could contain some one of a kind errors. If the bag is not sealed, they are probably been picked through already.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2316 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some mint sewn bags at coin shows, but never thought about picking one up to look for errors. I would think that the possibilities of finding a major error like that would be very difficult though. I will have to consider.

-CH27
CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38683 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it would depend in the year. Some years are real duds. You may pay several times the value you could get back if the coins were not nice. I bought a could of bags years ago and would never buy them again. Thus my comments above.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's impossible to find an original mint-sewn, around here anyway. Brinks or another vendor

would be the only folks who'd get them, and your not going to get anything from them. That's how they

make their $$, supplying biz with rolled coin. No banks around here have a rolling machine, only

counters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would buy a bag again, though just for the fun of it.
My avatar came out of a mint sewn bag and from a few 1959 Philly bags I found hundreds of Fs-104's.
Doubtful I would get that lucky again but it was fun.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38683 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a OBW roll of 1945-D cents and found several examples of a new RPM:

What what unique about the roll was that there were only 4 die pairs in the roll. So only 4 machines were running that day when that bag was wrapped that made up my roll.
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
07/18/2019 3:45 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for your info some smaller banks still use canvas bags for most of their coins, the bags should have a tag or label with the date it was counted at the very least. If you can't see the tag I wouldn't by the bag.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05