Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Carus Raised Encrustation Question:

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  8:38 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Below is a Carus I was working with today and if it was my coin to keep I'd not remove the encrustation on the reverse.
But being so raised off the surface I suspect you might be tempted to give it a try. Would you leave it or try to clean it up? It is not just dirt, it is incrustation so there is some chemistry to the surface I imagine where this is entrenched.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3004 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Green is one thing
But red is quite another thing isn't it
The red 'stuff' tends to be quite hard and resistant to brushing away
The coin has a rather thick layer of patination which is both good .......
and bad
The rough spots will not simply come off as they are a part of the oxidation
Remove one and you are likely to remove the other leaving an unpleasant looking metal surface

I might try an overnight bath in white vinegar
Followed by a gentle brass brushing
But if it fails disastrously
Don't blame me !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used a diluted solution of Lime Away to remove heavy encrustation like this. It softens the encrustation but doesn't hurt the rest of the coin. As with any use of chemicals you have to be careful.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28461 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone ever tried CLR? ( calcium lime rust) For reference only https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLR-G-CL-1...AOSwWuldFNOq
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2297 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used CLR in the past, but didn't find the results very satisfying, so I stopped using it.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried CLR, Vinegar and even "Coin & Artifact Ancient Bronze Cleaner". For all these methods, its all or nothing. Meaning that if left for too long you will strip the coin. From my experience, I would leave it. The encrustation will come off .... Along with everything else.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow;

If I would have done this, which I won't as I said, I would have defaulted to soaking in olive oil, remove after a week, have a table mounted magnifying glass out with a box of toothpicks, work for a half hour, then soak in olive oil for another week and repeat the process. In about 6 months hopefully I'd be down to the letters and carefully working around them with the tooth picks. That sounds so tedious now and maybe if this was a rare coin that would be a good option but for this one it would be more of a waste of time. But so is playing a video game or scrolling through the internet etc. I'd have to make this a hobby. On another note, I wonder how the buyer of the encrusted silver denarius I sold him we talked about is doing with his work? Hope he shows the results to the forum as he wrote for feedback, "Fun challenging cleaning. Already half done!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im a fan of olive oil and patience, altough in this case I might try electrolysis.
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also a fan of olive oil but I find for this type of deposit it doesn't work very well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive oil is probably the best option, however, patience has to part of the solution. That is something I'm still working on
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4174 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not certain olive oil would ever successfully remove that - I would leave the coin as is. In the future, I am sure there will be methods to remove this sort of encrustation that doesn't touch the coin and I'd leave it to the collector of the future to deal with.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05