Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Sacagawea Cheerios Dollar From 2000

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I recently was going through my childhood coin collection and flint and unopened year 2000 Cheerios dollar. It has been in a protective box for the past 19 years and I found out that it may be worth something. Can anyone please help with what the next steps should be in selling it and what companies to use?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19990 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, can you post a picture of it in the package?
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, post some photos. We love seeing photos of coins when someone is talking about it. Especially something like this.
Keep it in whatever packaging it is in. Hopefully the original packaging.
Submit it 'as is' to one of the big grading companies, such as PCGS, NGC, or ANACS.
Cross your fingers it's real cause it could be worth thousands.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other things to emphasize:
Post photos of the tail in the best quality you can.
Do not take it out of the packaging.
Don't clean or actually touch it.
Is it with a cent? It should also have a 2000 cent with it.
Is it high grade?
Do you have the funds to submit it to a major grading company?

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malfero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes post some pics, all the knowledgeable people here will be able to tell you if it's the "cheerios" dollar or a regular strike. Not all the dollars found in the cheerios boxes were the one with the "enhanced" tail feathers. If it is the rare one then by all means send it in to PCGS or NGC, they have all the info you need on their websites for submissions.

Cheers (or Cheerio!)
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey everyone! Thank you so much for the insights-- yes it is in the original package, and yes it is still with the original penny that it came with. I have been trying to upload the pictures for the past few minutes and am having a hard time getting it to the size it is supposed to be.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28451 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Did you use the image optimizer?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats if you got it.
After you verify if it is indeed the cheerios variety, you could send it in to an auction house that will take care of the TPG grading and selling for you.
I believe that GreatCollections does that, and I imagine other would as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a find! IIRC, of the 5500 originally minted, fewer than 100 have come to light. With the "cheerios" reverse, they are worth quite a bit, although not nearly as much as when they were first discovered (4 figures now versus 5 figures for the first handful to sell). I belive that even if your dollar has the regular reverse, it is still worth having certified, as even regular ones fetch a decent premium over popping it open and getting a Coke at the 7-11!

Also, I believe one of our members tried submitting one of these to one of the grading companies, and it was sent back with a "genuine" grade... ostensibly because they were trying to keep the population artificially low. Anyone remember which company that was?

Anyway, keep us posted
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the picture ^^^
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need good pictures to be sure, don't remove it from the package. Not all are the rare variety, but if your is then it is worth quite a bit.

Here is a link to help you identify it without removal from the package as you can only see the obverse.

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html
Edited by Andy Herkimer
07/22/2019 3:52 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Andy-- is the picture I posted not a good one? If it is not, what should I do to make it better?
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We really need a close up of the area like this. If you look, there is a small amount of metal pointing out where the arrow is. That's called a die marker and identifies it as the rare coin. Alternatively, you could pop it out of the packaging and look at the tail feathers on the reverse HOWEVER I would not recommend doing that. The coin is worth significantly more in higher grades and untouched. If it shows the die marker, you should submit it to a good auction house, they would grade it and sell it for you. Unless you want to keep it.

Edited by Andy Herkimer
07/22/2019 4:05 pm
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add baldee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malfero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha, forgot about not being able to see the reverse in the original packaging!
So you should be able to see the die marker if you can't get better pics to post or maybe upload a pic to google drive or somewhere where we can look at it. If you're pretty sure that the die marker is there then I would submit them either through PCGS or NGC. If you are just interested in selling it, then GreatCollections is a good way to go which someone else suggested, they will submit it and sell it for you.
Good luck!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05