Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Sacagawea Cheerios Dollar From 2000

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the best picture I could get. Please let me know your thoughts!
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is the best picture I could get. Please let me know your thoughts!

In order to be sure, we would need a picture more focused and similar in resolution to what I posted. If you have a camera with a macro setting, that would work I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all cherrios dollars are the good one. But all good ones seen so far have those die markers below the date and mint mark in that field triangle between sacagewea and the rim. And that's how you can tell for sure it's the highly detailed tail feathers without removing it from the package.

I keep hoping one day I come across one at a yard sale. 18 years and so far nope. Lol
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/23/2019 06:10 am
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool to see regardless of the variety that it has survived all these years in the orginal Package. OP nice find and good job keeping it safe all of these years!!
Edited by 1993Z
07/23/2019 06:41 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I have looked at the picture of the coin that isn't mine, and I am having a hard time understanding what everyone is talking about what is the red arrow pointing to? Sorry for so many questions!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28417 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The arrow is pointing to a tiny line/bump on the front of the bust,it is called a die marker.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Allow me to try and speak this all out. You may know all of this already, but I like to be overly clear rather than overly vague.
You have a dollar in the Cheerios packaging. Many/most of the dollars in the Cheerios packaging are a rare variety that is only found in the Cheerios package. (that is to say originally it was only distributed in that package, but since it was not known about until several years later many of them were likely "freed" from their packages and spent.)
You want to verify if yours is the rare variety or not. Problem is - the coin is face up in the package and the main defining characteristic is on the back. You could technically remove plastic from the the paper, but DON'T. Since even the regular non-rare variety is still worth more than $1 in the original package. So, the others are letting you know about a second defining characteristic that is visible on the front of the coin that will verify which variety you have.
You will need to get a good, in-focus, zoomed in picture of the area shown to allow the forum to decide. If you don't have a microscope, but do have a smart phone, you can order a clip on lens that will turn your phone into a plenty good microscope and get the picture that you need.
Good luck - I hope you have the "real thing".
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15603 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most recent picture is not the best but it does show the die wear along the rim just in front of the tip of the bust, and I think the die line below the mintmark may be present as well. I think this coin has a fairly good chance at being the good one.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with BigSilver and Conder101. It is impossible for us to tell without a better pictures. I think I see the die marker, but the picture is too blurry to be sure. Either way, it's better not to remove the coin from the packaging. If the coin is the rare variety, then it should be graded for your best profit, or even to preserve the coin. If it is a lower grade, it will likely sell for several thousand dollars. If you have it graded and it is a high grade ms69 coin, it could sell for tens of thousands. So the risk of damaging the coin by removing it is way too high, even touching it could affect the value. Do you want to sell it or keep it? If you want to sell, then there are places like Great Collections as mentioned previously, that will grade and sell the coin for you. If you want to keep it, then you may want to grade the coin.

Clear pictures would give us a definitive yes or no on whether it is the rate variety and we could also give you a rough idea of grade. This would allow you to have a rough idea of value. Knowing the value is important for insurance if you ship the coin or even to insure it if you keep it.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atsikouris812 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that I would like to sell it. I am working on getting a better picture and will be posting a better one when I can! I am calling great collections now to try and set something up as well. Any tips on how to package it while sending it out?
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that I would like to sell it. I am working on getting a better picture and will be posting a better one when I can! I am calling great collections now to try and set something up as well. Any tips on how to package it while sending it out?

Great Collections is a very well respected and trustworthy auction house. I would package it very carefully and make sure it's fully insured. Great Collections would probably know better than I do what the best way to ship it is, I haven't hit the jackpot yet. Congratulations btw, what a great find.
Edited by Andy Herkimer
07/23/2019 11:10 am
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malfero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this will help you...
Heritage has 3 auctions up right now for cheerios dollars.
(I'm losing them all!) If you search for 2000-p cheerios you will find them. You can see a tiny "spike" pointing at the bottom of the P mint mark from the shoulder of Sacagawea. Zoom in on the coin as much as you want. I always find it good to look at an actual coin.
I can "almost" see it on your picture but just a little more in focus and we could tell for sure. If you can't get a better pic then just look for yourself with magnification and if you see the marker then at least you'll be pretty sure it's the "good" one.

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malfero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Registered mail is the safest way to mail coins for grading or to an auction house, just check usps website or your local post office as they have restrictions on the packaging ( has to be all brown ) so it can be hand stamped at each location.

Or you can just put it in a bubble envelope and put some stamps on it..I'm joking here, but I just purchased a gold commemorative coin on ebay and that's how the person sent it, no tracking or anything!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7062 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe try turning the coin a bit and don't use so much lighting. That spot on the shoulder throws a lot of glare, even on the ones at Heritage.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, love to know how this story ends.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05