Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Buy Fractional Silver Pieces?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  08:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In this video I talk about fractional silver and show some examples of pieces currently for sale and what you'd pay. One example not shown would cost you over $90 for 1(one) ounce of silver!! Gross!

dXq5jH-lNMY
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want fractional silver buy pre-65 dimes, quarters, and halves (and dollars).

You might even get lucky enough to start a collection or two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3851 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Moxking
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add winterfell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like buying fractionals from time to time. I can get them from my LCS for not too bad of a premium, and they are a cheaper purchase in absolute terms. I will occasionally get some online if the price is right or there is a cool design I want(like the MPM Egyptian half ounce rounds which are super cool!) Again, a way to scratch the itch for not much money, but certainly sometimes the premiums are just too much. I like the 1/2 Perth lunars also, and I don't have to sink as much money into the collection as I would if I collected the 1 ounce version. I don't buy 1 gram bars/rounds though, they are too small for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the point in paying a premium. I too like junk silver.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy some fractional silver for illustrative purposes only. For example, I bought one each of the Somalia elephants. One each of the libertads, etc. I would never buy fractional silver in quantity.

I too bought the fractional MPM Egyptian coins. They are cool.
Edited by HappyHippo
08/04/2019 3:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised how many fractional moderns you can buy, and how many they mint. Smaller just takes up more room.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19107 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the price of silver ever gets to where it should be, fractional sizes will then make sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't buy them. Very,very occasionally I will be doing a trade at an LCS and have them give me a fractional piece back. I do have a bunch of fractionals set aside from a few years ago, so I see no need to get more. I agree with the comment about small denomination 90% being like a fractional.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3685 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A place here sell silver grams for $2.85 CAD. Some people just don't know how to cut their silver into smaller pieces. One ounce bars are perfect for bolt cutters. Some companies just prey on ignorance.
37 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All depends on why they are being bought
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05