Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 D-Day Toonie Missing 1 Security Maple Leaf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,109Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  2:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
one of the top security maple leaf missing. some thing is on the surface of the coin. that lies under the security maple leaf bars. the lazer must has stopped working.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8090 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting!
Check out the ones for sale on ebay.
Quite a lot of variation in the security leafs.
Before you posted this I thought it was all due to seller's pics.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/Two-Dollars...40&_nkw=2019
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM thank you so much. the roll that I opened here had only the one photographed with a missing maple. the rest are as they should be with both maple leafs. again thank you DBM
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the dies are laser etched with those security features, if so, maybe they're prone to grease getting in those tiny areas/devices
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alan these coins one of the last steps to complete the toonie. these maples are etched on to the coin by a lazer.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure? I think the leaves are laser etched into the die. Would make much more sense. But I have no understanding of this new method so could have it backwards
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alan there is so much I could tell you. I am now able to get information that is not made public. the coins are etched before they leave the mint. that is all I can say. Alan as you dig more you will understand more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4588 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is the security features are etched onto the die, or else there would be a tremendous difficult procedure of taking a struck toonies from a bulk bin orientating the coin then a laser process just seems prone to too many problems, we know the edge lettering is done in final stage as the crappy rims and that they are random in orientation
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair enough Rocky, They were able to add a secondary process to the coining of colour coins that incorporated laser alignment, so I have little problems with believing you. It is possible for the gold issues they are individually etched. However, I have never heard that wording "each coin is individually laser etched" . Therefore the loonie die would have a raised blank circle above the loon with no etched leaf. I don't see why they wouldn't just etch the die?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,109Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05