Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Krieghoff S$5 Coins Mintage Under 200 ?!?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just flipping through the annual reports and it says under 200 of these coins were sold. Can someone confirm or refute this? If these numbers are correct, there could be more than few sleeper coins out there that may be worth a lot more money as the price of silver climbs.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1571 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few people wanted them when they were released, and few people want them now.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, that will change when the price of silver goes up. If these numbers are correct, it seems prudent to me to stash a dozen of these sets away while the market looks to find its legs again. I remember when no one wanted the 1995W Eagle sets either ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These sets were available to purchase from the RCM into 2016. You need to see the 2016 sales figures for a complete picture. Unfortunately, the RCM has not yet published 2016 sales figures for its numismatic products.

I agree that the coin sets weren't hugely popular, but I would bet more than 200 sets were sold.

Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JGG

Hoping for a reprise of the 2008-2009 Goalie Mask $20 sets where the quantity sold (per Charlton) was 95 for Ottawa to 748 for Montreal with the majority in the 125-150 zone.

The Krieghoff set of 3 was initially sold for $200 but had $55 worth of silver (today's value @ $25/SML). There would need to be a significant meltdown in the currency markets for Silver to appreciate 4x from today's levels for these to make money as bullion based on issue price.

I see that they are selling for bullion -> bullion x 2 on eBay but still a rising price would need to be driven by demand for the low mintage that I haven't seen.

Even the Goalie masks I noted above rarely sell (at least on eBay) above 2x issue price and I would have bet that in Hockey mad Canada, these would have seen a greater demand.

I will be honest when I note that the only coins that don't make sense to me are the 2007 Giftware Sterling Proof Loons with mintages ranging from 849 - 3,229, these coins consistently demand significant multiples over issue price...

The difference here is that the demand for the Loons currently exists, it doesn't right now for the Goalie Masks or the Krieghoff set so purchasing these as an investment is a gamble (lay word for speculation ).

If your intent is to speculate on Silver, would that goal not be better served with some of the true bullion issues such as SML, ASE, Libertad, Brittanias, Koalas, Pandas or even some of the more exotic such as Somali Elephants, Queen's Beasts or any of the plethora of Silver bullion issues available these days for a small spread over bullion. There is already an open market and you will maximize your returns if you have stocked up and sat on an issue for a few years... If you catch a demand wave then you are winning... if not, you can at least recover the bullion cost.

Don't take the note above as a recommendation to speculate with numismatics (NCLT or Bullion)... You need to gain most satisfaction as a hobby as it has proven to be a very unrewarding financial investment in general.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigo, if silver (if) runs to 30 again, buyers will flood in the market and maybe some of the rarer NCLTs will get a shot in the arm. If one buyer were to hoard 30 of these sets, they could effectively dictate price to a certain point. Ive been in the mining and metals game since 99, and if this is indeed the bottom of the bear cycle in silver, then the astute could see some nice gains on rarer items.

During the last market run-up ($50 silver), common silver coins in PF69 would routinely sell for $150-$200 at auction. The 2004 Moose coin sold for $250, the 2007 Parasaurolophus sold for $400, the 2007 iridescent sold for $500. I think happy times for silver investors will return when sentiment changes and silver is bid up aggressively on the exchanges.
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JGG

If what you say comes to pass, I might even recover issue price on my "Big Coin" sets

I have been collecting coins for over 50 years however, I will defer to your experience in mining & metals as I haven't yet been an active seller.

It appears that we are at the beginning of a "bear" cycle in metals but my inner skeptic notes that in 2011, the driver was a combination of Eurozone instability with Greece, Ireland etc. facing financial crises, the US had low confidence due 2008/2009 financial crisis and a perception of a market shortage for industrial silver. I am not sure that the breadth of the current international financial situation or industrial supply equations are sufficient to trigger another boom cycle. Also this market run appears to be driven by gold... and silver is following carrying its traditional 50:1 cost ratio (in 2011 it went lower than 30:1) However.. I will wait and observe.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess at the very least, we will have some cool looking metal discs to pass on to the grandkids ...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've picked up a few sets. With interest in silver at lows, and the mintage on this coin set being theoretically extremely low ... it seems to me to be a really good opportunity. Sentiment with precious metals and rare coin investments is fickle and when the tide turns, it can be dramatic
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just flipping through the annual reports and it says under 200 of these coins were sold. Can someone confirm or refute this?

I was looking for something else in the 2014 AR and found that 1,622 of these sets were sold in 2014; the set was launched by the RCM on November 4, 2014. Add that figure to the 2015 figure (181) and the total is 1,803 - 10X the 2015-only sales figure.

Add in a few more sets sold in 2016 (still TBD) and the total sales volume could turn out to be about 2,000. Not a BIG number, but certainly a much different number than less than 200.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05