Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Snaplock Supply Question?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  10:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Morning,

Has anyone had any experience with these snaplocks before:

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/ha...color-coded/

If you have, what are some pros, cons, any info. you might find useful. If you haven't but have had experience enough to have an opinion I am interested in that as well.

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an expensive 2x2 but somehow worse?

Most of my face value coins I find in circulation just sit on my coin shelf, like 2009 cents and nickels, the 1776-1976 quarters, 1965 quarters, dollar coins, etc.

Anything more than circulated face value coins go in a 2x2, which is how the vast majority of my coins are stored. I highly recommend you bulk buy a bunch of 2x2s. Those will be how you store the majority of your coins (excluding proof and mint sets, keep those in their original holder and packaging)
2x2s are dirt cheap if you bulk buy them and they are good for storage. Just don't get them wet, or leave them in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. That goes with any coin regardless of how it is stored or holdered.

Now, for the very special coins, those over say 300$, you might want to get them in a 3rd party holder from one of the major grading companies (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, those things)

I wouldn't use those snaplocks. Maybe I'd pick an Air-Tite if I thought it's a pretty cool coin, but not really worth the fee to get it graded. Perhaps a 10th-ounce gold piece would go in one?

Anyway, I'd steer clear of those. You're talking 5$ for a holder, just the holder. No professional's opinion on the grade or authenticity, just an expensive holder. I don't see many of them, so I assume it's for a reason.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're actually $5 for a package of 6, so about $.85 each.

I have a few coins that I've purchased already in them and they are more secure that the typical cardboard and mylar 2x2 flip. They also provide more protection against the dreaded staple scratch so common in mylar flips.

If you have a coin with some value that you can justify spending $.85 to protect they're worth it. Also, if you have valuable coins but you're not into getting them graded and slabbed, these are certainly alternatives to consider, along with Air Tites and a few other similar products.

Displaying them can be a problem because 2x2 mylar flips fit into those pocketed pages nicely, but these don't.

Ultimately, I think the cost does not justify their use for me, but that's really a function of collection size more than anything else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've used 2x2 snaplocks for all of my single coins for over 30 years. I use either the Whitman or Edgar Marcus clear plastic 2x2s and have never used the Harris. I guess it depends upon whether or not you want the insert that Harris has.

If you decide to get the Harris snaplocks, you might want to shop around on the price though. It's strange that Wizard's price is $.865 ea in package of 6 and $1.1156 ea in box of 25. Usually bulk is cheaper

I've had good results with Jake's marketplace https://www.jakesmp.com/ You might want to check them out as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16997 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only say I dread buying an accumulation or collection that uses the Harris. It takes forever to sort TPG worthy against regular 2x2 and remove them from those holders.

They take up a lot more space than 2x2's but a lot less space than slabs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18449 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just no real advantage over standard flips except taking up more room.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05