Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With An Unknown Under-type?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for a little help with the under-type on this contemporary counterfeit British halfpence! It weighs 4.6 grams and measures 27mm. I've rotated and mirrored the reverse thinking that it might help identify the under-type. I can see the letter "M" and what appears to be a pair of numbers (3 & 9) but I'm not sure! My initial thoughts were that it might be some kind of token but I lack the knowledge of that series... Anybody have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated...

Rickie

Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say I have seen a contemporary counterfeit struck over anything else before.

I can't see it as being over an British 18th century token as they did not start until the late 1780s, and were bigger. The previous token range in the 17th century were much thinner and lighter - and the font of the M is wrong for that period.

I wonder if it is some identifying mark from the plate of copper they cut it from?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
684 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I cant offer any advice but I will say that it is pretty cool whatever it is struck on
PaddyB's suggestion makes sense that it is part of the Plate stamp, apart from that I am clueless
I have a 1775 that weighs in at 7.41g and in hand shows some flan oddities, not sure myself what they are but we have to remember that these are not " official " issue coins so anything was fair game.
My 1775

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understand... being unofficial they could be struck on just about anything available! Even Tokens... here's one struck over Mail Coach conder token. Hopefully someone will recognize it!

Thanks for your replies!
Rickie

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05