Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bicentennial Ike Plated Or Toned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 797Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  10:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this ike today and I'm not sure if it was plated/ painted or toned. It doesn't have asuch detail as I would expect from one that wasn't plated but the edge is near perfect.

I also found this counterfeit Trade dollar but it is crap and doesn't deserve its own post
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like someone coated it with clear nail polish at some point which has now aged... Drop it in acetone and see what happens...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is certainly environmental damage of one type or another. The imperfect "coating" has areas that didn't get covered so the suggestion of intended damage is probable.

The acetone suggestion is a good one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm I will think about it, I am somewhat opposed to cleaning coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An acetone soak, if done correctly and without rubbing,brushing,etc is not considered cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone dipping is not cleaning.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53678 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're completely safe using acetone.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch makes it look to me like it is not plated. If it was, wouldnt the scratch reveal the original metal underneath? I suppose it could have been plated after that, but just wondering
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Light golden tone like that can and does happen from the mint cello and leaving them in it. You can find coins that look basically just like that spots and all that are still sealed in the cello
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hullamania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like toning to me. Playing I have seen has snore even appearance.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 797Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05