Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Greek? Help Needed.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin appears to have a horse or possibly a horned animal on the left. Possible Greek letters below? On the back (I could be totally wrong) it looks like there is a figure standing on an exergue. This coin is 3.1g and 18mm. Definitely thicker and more "dimensional" than a standard Roman Imperial coin. Thoughts?

Learn More...
United States
22486 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jay, Have you checked out the sticky section here titled Books, downloads and websites? You will find a lot of the information that you are looking for there.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have checked it out and just spent a lot of time going through it again. Very cool. It can still be tricky for a beginner (myself) to even know where to begin though. I've collected quite a few Roman coins but recently came across a fair amount of other ancient coins that I've been trying to attribute. I'm very thankful this forum exists. I can't imagine how difficult this would have been before the internet!
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the Greek letter Λ below the head of the animal and possibly a trident to the right?
Learn More...
United States
22486 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The design loos Celtic IMO.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. I'll have to check out some of those Celtic sites then. Thanks for the lead!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4335 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse of the OP coin is pretty far gone. But among the AE's of the "Eastern Celts" is a variety that includes a reverse with a knobby jointed horse (with rider) right, with foreleg extended, lambda (Λ) below, and a series of short vertical pellet-ended lines at the bottom. The OP coin may be a very, very abstract version of that. For comparison:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3172474
Edited by Bob L
08/13/2019 6:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. That definitely looks close. After looking at your link it now appears that there is also a Γ (Gamma) above and to the left of the Λ.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05