Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 To Present Coin Collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  9:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay color me stupid but I am new to Canadian Coin Collecting and was wondering how I can use the website: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php to help me continue "what I am supposed to collect". I used Whitman Coin Folders as a guide of what to collect but they have not had an updated folder since 2013, therefore I am lost as how to continue as I am unsure of their "theme." For instance I know they do not include every single coin, and I am not sure if they only have what was released for circulation? Or what?

Please I hope someone can understand me rant and help me figure out how to continue.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could help you but I'm more or less in the same 'pickle' as you. I'm going to assume that you are just looking for circulated coins? If so, I guess using the C&C.com website as you mentioned will help the best.
I also use Whitman folders for my circulated items and, like you said, they all die off at 2013. I recently picked up the latest quarter folder (number 6) but it's not very helpful. The latest date it shows is 2013 (again), and although it has six slots for the 2011 Parks Canada quarters it only lists FOUR spots for the eight 2012 "War of 1812" coins.
I use the Charlton books for reference for both the circulated and RCM only released coins, but I'm way behind as my latest catalogues are from 2016. Even those don't list all of the 2015 releases; so if I pick up the 2020 books next year they might be a year to a year-and-a-half behind.
Valued Member
Canada
405 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you just looking to collect circulating coins? Are you collecting all denominations? I think the coinandcanada website will provide you with a good idea of what was released. You can also look at the numista website or post specific questions on this forum and members will help out.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So to answer my own questions it appears Whitman only has spots for circulation strike coins (Coins that were released for circulation) where the other books have spots for all circulation, but also have spots for coins only released in brilliant uncirculated sets, proof sets & specimen sets. So I believe almost all the coins from the nickel to the toonie, from 2013 through 2019 have been released for circulation and would need included in our sets. This is just my person belief of what is going on, I could be wrong.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05