Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts Of An Old/New Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  7:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JWH2JR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started collecting coin many years ago when I had a paper route. Then my uncle came back from WW2 and gave me a bunch of foreign coins which I prized and was proud to show to my friends. I used to add to my collection from coins found in pocket change and never had to worry about counterfeits or cleaned coins. Now fast forward 50 plus years I've picked up the hobby again but boy how it has changed! Now I'm collecting both modern coins and classic coins but have to watch out for counterfeits and cleaned coins. I'm told to buy only graded coins that are determined authentic. Even then I find it difficult to find coins that have not been cleaned. I actually find some of the cleaned coins more attractive! I cannot remember the last time I found a keeper in pocket change. In spite of all the changes I am still enjoying coin collecting in my retirement but have no idea what my kids and grandkids will do with my collection when I pass. I can only hope that it will kindle an interest with one or more of them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16904 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone should enjoy the hobby, have fun, and most importantly - love their collection.

There is no right way for everyone. Although there might be a few wrong ways.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeiters and over production and massive amounts of commemorative coins have really made a mess of this hobby lately.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11432 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention all those State ,Territories ,National Parks ,ETC. Quarters . What will they have next , The names of the best Pizzerias in all states ? Eh !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am interested in hearing you explain a bit about your opinion on cleaned coins. What do you find more attractive about them? Are you referring to raw coins, already slabbed, or both?
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Papadoc75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't give them any ideas T-BOP.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15743 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are already floating test balloons for animals or youth sports quarters.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/22/2019 1:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What will they have next , The names of the best Pizzerias in all states ?

I really want them to try streets and alleys next.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
512 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even then I find it difficult to find coins that have not been cleaned.

The only thing worse than realizing all the coins in your collection have been cleaned, is realizing that you were the one who cleaned them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The only thing worse than realizing all the coins in your collection have been cleaned, is realizing that you were the one who cleaned them.

,that would be bad. I definitely had a few coins that I wished I hadn't messed with....but I am happy to say I have lived through it, learned, and try to always teach others the right way to do things. Like it says at the top of the page.. 'Education is the key to collector success!'
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05