Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need To Have A Good Way To Store The Unc Coins I Have Is Airtites...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
....whether the ring type or the Direct fit.

I have the coins currently in 24mm Direct Fits. I tried putting them inside BCW 20-pocket pages for 2x2's. But it takes no effort at all for them to all slide out.

What would be ideal would be to have some foam 2x2 squares with a hole in the middle that the capsule could fit snugly into and slide right into the slots in the BCW page with no chance of sliding out.

Any ideas what I can do?

Webs
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great way to store them would be to send them to me JK. Most of mine are in the 2X2 holders,Then the red box's for the 2x2's They stack up very well and hold 50 2x2...
Edited by Daves Errors
08/23/2019 02:06 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28984 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. If you try making your own foam holders,make sure the foam is coin safe.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
76155 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JB.....Definitely a possible solution. I was hoping for a 100% non-reactive foam for instance, with the proper diameter for the AirTites. I saw someone talk about a foam like that (they manually cut holes), but I was looking for something else at the time, and didn't write down the type of foam (of course!) But at least your link gave me a workable solution I can use if I don't find exactly what I m looking for. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16886 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use 12 pocket pages and apply a small piece of 2 sided tape between the gaps. Tape does not come in contact with any part of the coin holder. Or, to be super safe, buy archival quality tape.
Learn More...
United States
76155 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But at least your link gave me a workable solution I can use if I don't find exactly what I m looking for. Thanks!
You are very welcome.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again!

Here is a solution I am pursuing for my uncirculated coins. I collect both US & Canadian coins, and with the Canadian coins, only the nickels and some dollars can use DirectFit Air-Tites as is. And even then, the Direct Fits would slide in the 2x2 slots in the BCW pocket pages.

Then I discovered something else on the Air-Tite site a couple days ago: Lighthouse coin capsule albums. For instance, to store my UNC Canadian quarters or Large Cents, I have ordered a "T album". I then ordered T30.6 Direct Fit capsules (normally for current US halves). Finally, I ordered two sets (50 each) of the rings that are the right size for quarters (24mm) or Canadian large cents (25mm) and will use them in the T30 direct Fits. Those Direct Fits will then go in albums pages in slots that snugly hold each of the capsules, in this case 30 per page.

I went with this solution instead of buying capsules that already have rings because of the price. I found a place on eBay where I could get 250 of the capsules for under 24 cents each. Rings cost $5 for a pack of 50.

There are other solutions I looked at, but there were two issues that pushed me in this direction: plastic 2x2s with foam that could still require a tape or velcro setup to keep them from sliding out of the 2x2 pockets, and the fact that those two types of plastic 2x2's are not air-tight.

I will post further on this thread when I receive the supplies and put them to use. I hope this helps others of you.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 39M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Follow-up.....I LOVE this solution! I have an album just for Canadian Quarters, and only for those from 1989-on (almost all of the ones I have are uncirculated). Here are some things to note, though.

Originally, I had those uncirculated quarters in A24 Direct Fit capsules, but they had too much rattle for my liking. And while I found I could get those capsules reopened, the whole process was a royal pain. Some were very hard to re-open.

So....if you are expecting to upgrade coins to higher grades on a regular basis, it will be a lot easier on you to use the cardboard/mylar 2x2's until you are sure that coin is not likely to be upgraded again.

As for the 5x6 coin holder pages, they are perfect for my needs. But since they are clear, and since I do not have complete pages most of the time, I am often looking down to pages below when there is an empty slot. One solution is to simply put blank white paper between each of the plastic holders. I am going to try to print the information for what ought to be there for all 30 spots in a mailmerge and insert that page under it's coin page so that I will have a description in every slot that does not have a coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05