Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

St Georges Cathedral 2 Pound Coin With 2 Minting Errors.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  4:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jubbly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First time posting so please forgive me if I got the wrong subforum or anything.
Well, I found this article about a St Georges cathedral 2 coin that had two minting errors. According to the article because of the errors (Dots around the queens head getting smaller and dissapearing at parts, and writing on the rim upsidedown) the coin was worth 1500.

I happened to have a st georges cathedral 2 coin and after checking I realised it had very similar errors, the writing on the rim was upside down and the dots around the queens head were off center and at some points so small they are almost dissapeared. Ill try and get some photos and a link to the article soon, but id like to know if this coin is actually worth anything, thanks in advance :D.
Edited by Jubbly
08/23/2019 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5495 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and to the Forum! This is a great place to start if you want to learn about coins!

Do you mean the St Paul's Cathedral 2 coin issued in 2005, like this one?

Firstly, there is no such thing as the writing on the rim being upside down. It's completely random. The writing goes onto the blanks before the coins are struck, and the blanks are then fed into a hopper and pass between the dies. So roughly half the coins will have the writing the right way up in relation to the obverse, and the other half the right way up in relation to the reverse.

The dots around the Queen's head quite often get lost in the join between the two metals and this doesn't normally make the coin of any extra value, unless it's a really spectacular error. We'll need a good photo to judge if your coin has such an error.

Unfortunately some people have been putting ordinary coins from their pocket change on eBay for ridiculous prices and certain tabloid papers have printed inaccurate reports that some coins are very valuable.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
601 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. I agree entirely with NumisRob.

Other scams to watch out for include -

Somebody popping out the middle of a coin and turning it round, or swapping it with a diferent design, then claiming it is an error coin. This is impossible to produce during manufacture.

Claiming the 1997 2 coin is rare. It isn't. The Queen is wearing a necklace on this coin and not on subsequent years, but only because the design changed in 1998.

Claiming valuable edge errors when a small part of the lettering is obscured, eg PEMEMBER instead of REMEMBER. This technically is an error, but not worth much.

You can always post photos on this site for advice.
United Kingdom
46 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Entirely with Numisrob here, unfortunately the reports are grossly exaggerated and many times completely incorrect. Nevertheless, don't let this dissuade you - there are goodies out there if you look hard enough!

to the community, too :)
Learn More...
United States
76280 Posts
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jubbly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies guys, id send a picture, but my phone camera sucks so I cant really get the details in lol. I did have my suspicions about the article, so thanks for clearing everything up. At least I now know just to spend it on choccos or somthing, instead of holding onto it, cheers all. :D
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05