Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 Texas Commemorative Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2021 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  8:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have really started to like this coin and I want to add one to my collection. This is a relatively new area to me. Three questions on this one:

Has it been cleaned?
What would you grade it?
Does it appear to be authentic? This particular coin is raw and not graded.

As always, thanks for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6727 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the potential pursuit of these tremendous coins - great USA history and indeed coinage art throughout the 50 coin type set.

You have chosen a wonderful starting point ... the Texas Centennial of Independence Half Dollar.

I assume the photographs shown belong to the prospective seller - as such they show an authentic 1934 example. Thats the good news.

Likely grade minimum AU and could be high MS - the photos provided do not provide enough detail for me to suggest a view on grade or prior cleaning

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4235 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hullamania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin. Looks authentic to me. Higher detailed pics would provide more info, but I am thinking MS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4662 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine. The weakness on the knee, head and breasts are pretty common on these things. It is sometimes mistaken for wear when in fact is just due to a poor strike. You just have to examine the coin closely and determine if the luster on the high points is broken.

Putting a full 13 piece set together can be fun and challenging. Not terribly expensive to do, either. My favorites have always been the 36's and the 38's.

They can be addicting! Enjoy the ride.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  04:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lovely coin to start with.

It is genuine and not cleaned. The grade looks to be at least mid-MS to me accounting for weakly struck areas. I don't see any detracting marks and the luster is great.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05