Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 D/D (?) Buffalo Nickel Potential Error/Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks (hope this is correct thread. Moderator noted I posted in wrong area on one of these...anyway).

Thinking of acquiring this coin, but the reverse has what looks like a depression/chip with rough edges. Just in front of buffalo's face (he is looking at it like "where did you come from? Or, "Hmmm, looks yummy" lol). Maybe a die crack/line as well. Or just a plain old chip. May just be a spot that looks like it has depth. I could just ask. lol. But give you guys first shot.

And seller notes it's a D/D. Maybe. See picture for that as well.

Any thoughts on what it may be? Planchet issue? This is a nice coin but again, this issue. Thx for comments of other buffalo's I posted. Here ya go:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40379 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Planchet flaw in front of bison? Much better close-up of MM needed.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it. Below is what PCGS says about those flaws. Expected on these copper based older coins as I read it, if that's what it is. So I assume gradable, if not too large, but probably will take a hit grade wise. Hmmm OK...Thx

"A planchet flaw is a metal impurity or defect in the planchet. They are usually caused by a separation of part of the surface from the core due to impurities in the metal. While similar to a peeling lamination, they can be holdered as there is no risk of future damage. Small, unobtrusive planchet flaws are acceptable, but large, obvious, poorly placed, or distracting flaws are rejected. Context is also important. Planchet flaws on certain U.S. Colonial coins and early copper issues are expected; planchet flaws on Morgan silver dollars are not".
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks exactly like a stain with a bad scratch underneath it, and that doesn't look lile a d/d to me at all. I'd pass on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18425 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice full horn though.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea Cherry. Decided to look elsewhere. Too bad. Nice otherwise. It's like my toned one I posted with the chin spot. Gave up trying to figure it out. Sending to NCS conservation, then they send to NGC for grading, if it's not damaged (metal corrosion, pitted, etc.), they will grade it. If metal chewed by whatever hit that spot, it's toast for grading. It would be a shame, as both my toned nickels I posted, when you see them in your hand, are just plain pretty. Iridescent. Have another which is gold toned. It's a looker to, but not like my other two. We will see. Thx
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05