Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Value On These 2 Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Germany
1 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cryo75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Their actual color is silver (more dark gray due to them being hidden in a box for quite some time).

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5711 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  03:37 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

These are both English crowns. The one on the left is a Victoria Jubilee Head one. It's slightly hard to tell the condition from the photo, but it looks as if it has some edge damage. It's still a collectable coin and is made of sterling (92.5%) silver. My local coin dealer would charge between 20 and 30 for a similar coin.

The coin on the right is a 1965 Churchill crown. They are extremely common. Although some dealers put them in fancy cases and sell them for 5 or so, I've seen them for 50p or 75p at coin shops. They are cupro-nickel and have no silver content.

Please don't clean the coins as this would devalue them. It would be good if you could post clearer photos of the 1890 crown.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16024 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have read coin magazines that suggest that the Churchill Crown is arguably the ugliest coin that The Royal Mint has ever produced.
Strictly as far as Churchill's images is concerned, I rather disagree, and consider the artwork of his image quite acceptable. Not keen on the Gillick bust of H.M. the Q.
I agree with NumisRob's report regarding the value of the Churchill Crown.

The 1890 .925 sterling silver Crown I would suggest has a value of around 20, in the condition pictured, although I could well imagine some coin dealers trying to ask for 30, which a potential customer should be able to negotiate down, towards the 20 price.

I have most silver Crown types from George 111, (which also includes an 1890, in about the same condition), the average condition of which ranges from Fine to Uncirculated.
Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
232 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I concur with the above comments.
I have a stall selling coins regularly at a local market - the 1890 Crown I would have marked at 25, with hope of getting 20. (Thanks to Bargain hunt and other antique programs, most buyers want to haggle down the price!)
The Churchill Crown - I have a tray full out at 50p each, 1 if they are in a nice perspex box. At that I shift a few - any more and they stick and I have a box full of them in reserve.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05