Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Buy Rolls Or Bags?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  5:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MarkCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering why you'd want to buy rolls of Commemorative quarters from the US Mint? Aren't these the same coins you'd get at a bank?

The "San Antonio Missions National Historical Park 2019 Rolls and Bags" has a P, D, S set for $46.95. So you're paying an extra $16 for three rolls of quarters. I guess you wouldn't have to hope to get the mintmark you're hoping for, but what is the attraction of getting 40 of each coin?
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the bank, you won't find mint state. Big banks get their coins from the federal reserve, which mixes all the coins, old and new. Also, you should check, but sometimes they are silver. Also, S mint are really rare from the bank
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16973 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In hopes of scoring errors or varieties that no one else has ever seen.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yah. That would also make sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
S mint are really rare from the bank

The only way an S mint is at a bank is if someone has purchased it from the mint in a roll or bag and then later spent it. I buy five mint sets each year, one for each of my three children and two for me. Since the mint doesn't include the -S quarters on the mint set, I buy one roll of each. I then fish out the best five quarters to go along with the mint sets. I then keep the rest rolled up for future trade bait. It looks like the new innovation dollars are going to play out the same way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12389 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify that while most coins from the bank are circulated you can and do get mint state coins from a bank. That said you buy the rolls to get what you want. You can't go to the bank and say I want a roll of xyz, they'll give you whatever quarter roll they have. Some people like rolls and bags others get them to search them
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying direct from the mint in rolls and bags technically has less wear and tear on the coins.

When they ship them out in bulk, they go in the monster bags of $50K coins on steel pallets. They ship to the armored carriers. The carriers dump them and roll them and box them, ship them to the banks, and you get what you get from the bank if they get them.

The mint direct shipping of rolls and bags are pretty much from the bin, not with 200K coins on them, shipping across country. And shipping again to banks. Less travel wear.
Personal preference between which is better, a bag or roll from the mint. Some will think the rolling machine will add damage, some will think the coins loose in a canvas bag will cause damage, which is worse when it comes to the condition of the coins? I don't know.

The bulk pallets and that process of distribution is worse for the coins condition than buying direct from the mint in either case though. Some also think there's a chance at error coins from the bags that would get sorted out by the rolling machine, like misshapen coins, broadstrikes, clips, serious off centers ect.

As far as P+D mint marked coins I do think the mint direct ship is better than boxes from the bank to get what you want and in better condition, and there's no other option for the S mint circulation quality strikes.

I prefer to hunt rolls from banks and get what I get though rather than pay the extra from the mint.

And you won't get W mint mark quarters this year from the mint direct ship offerings. They were only distributed through the monster bags on the pallets shipped out to armored carriers for distribution through banks. Another main reason I don't buy bags or rolls from the mint this year.

If you are hoping for a high grade P or D coins, probably bags or rolls would be the go. Other option I guess would be like buying the P+D circulating quarters set from the mint rather than buy rolls or bags if quarters are your thing. I'd think that set would have the best handled, least contact marks of any of the ways to get them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05