Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You ID It? Thanks For Any Info! French Medieval.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  09:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've looked online and see similar ones but not this exact one. I know it's rough but someone here can likely id it. Thanks for any help!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse legend starts with LVDOVICVS, so it is one of the kings Louis.

Size?
Edited by tdziemia
09/02/2019 10:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this one of the possibilities you already checked?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38150.html
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thanks for the reply! The coin is very close to 22 mmm in diameter. It is very much like the one you posted a link to, except it's smaller, and the lettering on the cross side seems to have some differences.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, maybe a smaller denomination of Louis XII, and/or a different mint to account for a small design difference? I can't find one that comes closer on Numista. Some others out here have access to better France catalogs, and may be able to nail it.
Edited by tdziemia
09/02/2019 11:03 am
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia, any info is appreciated and I thank you!
Valued Member
Sweden
98 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Blanc de Provence, Louis XII (1498-1514). A local issue for the county of Provence, which recently had become part of France. Louis XII was also count of Provence.

The inscription reads something like (there are varieties): LVDOVICVS D G FRAN REX PRO COM T L which reads Ludovicus Dei Gratia Francorum Rex Provincie Comes Tarasconum L? (not sure what the L stands for, Locum?). The coin is minted in Tarascon.

I don't think it is in Numista, but here is a link to one sold:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/nu...Default.aspx
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
erafjel, it seems to be a match! The coin linked to doesn't seem to give its size but examining the coin and comparing it to this one it seems very very close. Thanks for taking the time to post your info! And thanks to all!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great! I was hoping someone who really knows France would get a look.
I was concerned about the dots for punctuation reverse (instead of stars), and the sloppy rendering of the fleur-de-lis (not well aligned) and starting to wonder if maybe it was a contemporary counterfeit.
Valued Member
Sweden
98 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The diameter of a blanc should be about 25 mm, but I think yours is a bit clipped or perhaps just minted on a somewhat small flan. It seems like maybe 3 mm is missing to fit all the inscriptions.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05