Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 D Lincoln Cent Help!! Excessive Cud Or What?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Husker402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tell me what the heck I'm looking at here lol!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23930 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's not a Cud. Just extra solder from a soldering iron. PSD.

Here's what a real Cud should look like. http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-ce...s-1940-1949/
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16973 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Folks do strange things to coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40446 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They sure do, and I speak from experience.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29048 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Agreed with PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the guess of solder is 100% accurate.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Husker402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok that answers my next question and could possibly be solder... Even the why part doesn't even interest me because, yeah people are weird lol. It's the how that keeps me interested... Ok say it's solder, how is it melted into the coin on the obverse and the coin is formed to the chunk on the reverse? Without ANY sign of heat stress to the coin and no tool marks did that chunk bind to the coin. Hard to see in the pictures but that chunk on the reverse doesn't appear to be melted into the coin like the little splatter spots on the obverse? Now I'm a certified welder Union ironworker for a living that's familiar with undercut when welding and if that were an actual "weld" then I would be able to understand the impressions around the splatters... So my question is, if that was done intentionally, isn't solder just a binder? Or does solder actually sweat into the metal? I know when I soldered by copper plumbing pipes, the solder didn't show any signs of intermingle with the copper. A typical soldering iron only reaches 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The badass soldering iron I have gets to 800 instantly with the pull of a trigger. It takes almost 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit to melt copper. Solder would stick and flake off but definitely not intermingling to the coin I can't tell you for sure or not because I'máno plumber, how hot would that soldering iron have to be and how hot would that solder have to be to penetrate a solid copper coin? For what it's worth and narrows down the type of metal that's embedded into the coin... Would have to be brass, No doubt... And then you're into Tig welding and beyond soldering... There is no Arc strike or arch scratch on this coin... I realize at the end of the day this is a fantasy piece because we will never have the answers as to the motive or location of how or where this happened. Everybody I encountered over this coin says firmly It is post mint and that someone did it in their garage or whatever. I am totally okay and can accept those answers. Fine it didn't happen at the mint. Impossible is what I hear over and over and over. I can accept that. It is the how that is driving me nuts... Each side of the coin has its own "how". I believe that whatever took place on each side happened simultaneously. I feel like while the smooth stuff on the obverse heated the coin enough to melt into it while softening the coin enough for it to form to the chunk on the back... and solder is the most logical thing I've heard so far from the forums I have posted to but it just doesn't cut it. But that's what I want is more ideas of how because I need to know how this was done LOL
Thank you guys so much
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20026 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a million ways it could've have happened and none of them are important. What is important is it couldn't have happened at the mint so it's not an error.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Husker402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to say thanks for the welcomes! I've known for a little bit of time that you guys are serious coin collectors and are some hard-hitting fellas and ladies! But that's what this line of collection needs because of how easy it is to be deceived or cheated! I'm a newer collector myself to coins and have lots to learn so I'm learning lol... but I'm an avid collector and the rare and unique. And more than anything error coins are what I'm after! I thought this one would be a fun one to get us talking and he'll maybe even find an answer... I have an undocumented error coin that I'm dying to ask you guys about that has nothing to do with this by the way #128513;!! But overall I just wanted to say thanks again for the Wall comes and not only am I here to soak up information but I'm also happy to share what I know as well in return!! I researched the heck out of everything and don't come to an argument without the facts and I'm never quick to dismiss anything unless I'm positive beyond a doubt! And you're dealing with one of the most skeptical and cynical people I know LOL!
David
Edited by Husker402
09/09/2019 4:25 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05