Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting In Canada - Is It Worth It?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stogie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lately, I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube of collectors in the United States filming their coin roll hunting experiences. It seems like they are having good luck finding all kinds of interesting coins (especially when it comes to silver coins, but with other coins too like early wheat cents etc).

I am wondering, is coin roll hunting in Canada just as viable? Has anybody done it, and what have the results been? I would like to know if it is worth my time to CRH in Canada? Mostly I would like to find Canadian silver, but other worthwhile coins like '64 XWL nickels, '73 large bust quarters, 1991 quarters and the like (heck, even 12 sided nickels). I would be happy with anything "interesting". I would also be interested in anything foreign (non-U.S.), especially British coinage.

In a nutshell, is CRH in Canada worth it, or am I just wasting my time?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's lots of folks up here that do search rolls. Most banks are pretty good about getting them there, but there will be some people chime in here and give you pointers.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4671 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been CRH for years and have found every little silver. The best you can do is hunt for that MS coin you need to fill a hole.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1003 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have been doing an alloy recovery program here, which has sucked up most of the older coins. Sometimes you'll find something interesting, but I am seeing more and more rolls of used coins from 2000's onward's. In short, I dont roll hunt much anymore, but in a smaller center I would consider if I was having good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1373 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a coin roll hunter just because of time vs what one can find.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalmBud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i try to buy new rolls of uncirculated coins from the bank .... does that count?

also - looking to buy roll of 2019 loonie and toonie
Pillar of the Community
Canada
550 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of the ARP up here, you'll have better luck finding silver searching customer wrapped rolls.
Edited by GMS5
09/13/2019 1:44 pm
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience, don't get your hopes up. I have found one silver Canadian coin from going through dozens, probably hundreds of rolls. You won't likely find a '91 quarter or other rarities. I haven't even been able to find 2017 coloured quarters or toonies. As people have mentioned, the alloy recovery program has really done a good job of taking most pre-2000 coins from circulation. You have a better chance of finding interesting things in US CRH, but it still takes a lot of time.

You can find more info about people's experiences in the CRH forum.
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its the luck of the draw.

I have found a few silver quarters, as well as a 1991 and a 1997..... but they weren't in the same roll, lol. Had to look through many boxes to find them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1731 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stogie, For the majority of people the roll hunting for silver or rare types is not a good idea. First you need to ask yourself a few questions

1) what am I really wanting to find and how will I judge if this is working for me?
2) realistically how much time/effort are you willing to give to this endeavor?
3) How much free cash do you have to devote to this endeavor?
4) Living in Barrie, is there realistically enough banks to be able to search enough coins to make myself successful?

If your answer to #1 was tons of silver and a 73 large bust quarter, then your answer for #2,#3 better be LOTS. Your answer to #4, may mean you have to drive well out of your town.

I offer this knowledge to you as someone who is successful, who has found 73 large bust quarters, 1991 quarters, 96 attached nickels and thousands of dollars in silver. However, my answers for #2 and #3 was only "Go Big or Go Home".

I go through thousands of dollars worth of quarters a week same as dimes, this takes time.

I have the added incentive of living near the USA border so I can collect all the US$ and exchange it so I have a secondary way of generating income.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1670 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I still search pennies (yes most banks will still give them to you,some banks call me when they come in)
with pennies you will find alot of good finds, 1985 pointed 5's 2006 magnetic all kinds of king george VI,ive even found a bunch of george v basically you will probably find every year from 1920-2012 (except some of the scarce dates from the 20's) I have found literally 1000's of wheats even a bunch of indian heads and if I remember the date I think it was 1886 silver 6 pence, one time I even found a tiny diamond(havent verified if its real yet but it looks like it) you can finds clipped and cud coins not to mention high ms coins and foriegn coins in the mix too....and if you get pennies from hamilton you will even find buttons as well like I have more than once
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
630 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ace said it good, time invested, and lots of boxes will do the trick.

What I enjoyed about roll hunting, was the relaxation factor. Used to search just one roll after work, and bingo, the day was forgotten, and a good mood gained. Put together my circulation set this way.

ARP has ruined it for finding even late 1900's coins.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grahamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My son and I did roll searching for a while with Canadian quarters. Through my bushiness I have relationships with 3-4 banks and we probably went through 500 rolls of quarters. We did find a 1991 which was quite thrilling for my son (he found it, I was sure he had made a mistake.) It was interesting for him to learn the difference the circulation amounts really mean (even when they are very large). For example you will find 20 1981's for every 1983. A little surprising to me was the fact that we did not find a single silver coin. I would say that most Canadian coins have been picked fairly clean of silver.
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CA_Coin_Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me I seem to have good luck, probably because the bank I go to doesn't order much new coins and old coins stay theee and people dump old coins there. So far I found around 2.5 dozen 12 siders, at least a dozen silvers and even a 1891 Victoria silver 5 cent on the end of a dime roll. So you will have the most luck at old banks/cities or places near the border such as Niagara Falls.
Edited by CA_Coin_Hunter
10/06/2019 01:17 am
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CA_Coin_Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also check donation boxes, I found several silvers and George V's that way. Just tell them you will replace the coin in the donation box. They usually let you take the coin out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a believer of "CA Coin Hunter"... too many extremely rare finds in just a short time from a beginner, and no photos to show. That 1921 nickel that accidently was melted into a silver bar was the first "story" that was too much to believe.

To continue this thread, I have searched rolls both sides of the border and have found overall results pretty similar. Finding silver in dime rolls, as well as quarters and halves rolls is not very common and genuinely not worth the labour. Yeah, *maybe* if you can go through thousands and thousands of dollars *maybe* you can have a few decent finds, but in general it's not worth it. Rolls of pennies, I've found, have a much higher yield of interesting and sometimes valuable coins. Being well versed in errors and varieties is a necessity, and just be prepared to spend a huge chunk of time sorting the coins.

And, please, don't sort through the charity boxes, that's pretty uncouth in my opinion. A better strategy would be to contact the charity directly and see if you can make a deal to search all of their donations somehow. And please, share all of your finds and questions here on CCF! Happy hunting!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05