Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins And Canada.... How Accurate?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CalmBud to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
how accurate is c+c? are there better sites? better guides?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not very.
Yes.
Not online.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
996 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How accurate in terms if what? Price, varieties, grades, etc...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2581 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any written or computer-referenced coin material should be used as a SINGLE bit of information, to be combined with other inputs. You will not find anyplace that you can go to to get 100% (or even 70%) accurate material. CaC is a good place to start, but the Ebay "sold" items(using the "advanced" link upper right) gives you a good idea of what's what, but remember the pictures/photos lie. Just searching coinsite archives gives you excellent information. If you are really interested in finding something about your coin/coins, use more than one reference ... 3-4 is best. But CaC is a WONDERFUL reference to get some knowledge.

The CaC variety section is, many times, out of whack and very misleading. The "varieties" are just submissions from site members who, many times, affix their own variety name or ID to the coin. Many are not varieties or errors at all .. some are "within tolerance" or PMD. But what they put down as varieties is a real joke. If you have to magnify something 40, 50, 80 times to see something, it doesn't make it a variety. The prices that are listed for "varieties" that make it to the price list are, sometimes, way way off base. Just because one sender has had a hard time finding a certain coin doesn't mean that it deserves a large premium. If I used the CaC price guide with my 5000+ Vicky large cent variety hoard, I could afford to build a 5-bedroom lakehouse up in the Muskokas instead of here between T.O. and Hamilton. Just use the CaC site as a reference but don't believe the prices that they list.
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that CaC is a good place to start. The problem with using the Ebay sold feature is that few of the coins that I'm searching for seldom come up in the condition that I'm looking for. Trends is useless period. I am not looking for a daily quote but a current price list of the last 20 transactions of the coin would be useful. I am sure that there may be one or two dealers tracking where the action is and adjusting their inventory accordingly.
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lightw4re to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! Creator of coinsandcanada.com here. Always open to ideas, suggestions and questions to make it better and more accurate where needed. Feel free to give me your opinion and we will take everything into consideration.

@okiecoiner The "variety section" is not only about varieties, but errors too, notwithstanding if it's an important, medium or small one. To help with that, we will modify our classification to put foward what is major and what is minor and review each one of them. You are right, most of the pictures come from the community and they are very generous by sharing their discoveries. But some of these images aren't well classified right now. I'd like you if you can, to let me know when you see an image that you think is PMD. We can ask for new pictures from the the owner of the coin and remove it if necessary. We will also add a new feature to the website for everyone to give us feedback on the errors and varieties shown and help us to clean the ones that need to be fixed. Thank you for your honest opinion!

@Inconnu Bonjour! We might add a feature that allow you to see the last 5 or 10 sales for a specific combination of coin/grade in our auctions section. Our database contains more than 85,000 auction sales at the moment which mean it's probably the right time to share this type of information.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2581 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightwire .. yes, I have emailed you with suggestions before and pointed out some incorrect info. Some was used and some not, so I quit sending information. PM me and we can set up a discourse. I'm gone the next 2 weeks to Okieland to get rerednecked, cause it diminishes quickly up here north of the border. I have a huge hoard of Vicky and other large cents and have been an avid variety collector for 40 years and have initially ID'd many varieties that are now in Charlton(the front section, as well as the back of the 2011 which I co-wrote).
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightw4re, I use your site regularly as input to valuation. I like your site, it is well laid out and easy to navigate. I would enjoy seeing the raw data with which you derive your valuation. Good job !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightw4re, congrats on owning such a great site and I thank you.
I know your offer was not addressed to me however you might look at the 1980 twenty five cent as the coin in the error & variety section is PMD,

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lightw4re to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hounddog Bill Thank you very much. We removed that one and 112 other pictures that were already flagged.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins and Canada is one of my go-to bookmarks. For the most part, the prices at least point out the coins that have condition rarity or auction results for key varieties. The relative prices are solid, even if the individual prices lag behind the market decline.

The current market is running well below C-and-C prices, but that reflects both the TPG overgrading mess and an overall depressed market. I've harped on the overgrading many times, so I'll just give the Twitter-length version: the market adjusts prices downward to compensate for overgrading, and pulls down the value of correctly graded coins in the wash. This hurts the entire market.

Real-time pricing is hard for Canadian and Provincial coins, because the market-making sites have so many incorrectly graded coins. Aside from the TPG grading mess, a large number of sellers just guess on grades (and prices), so the prices realized appear to be inconsistent. It takes a lot of time to translate sales (eBay, for example) into accurate grades and prices.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you've ever spent time looking at the Canadian penny mintages, you'll notice many are off, even the varieties can be off. If they had a "submit edit request" on the site, I'm sure it would do millions for the community.
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightw4re, how do you account for coins that have sold but were graded by a questionable sources, i.e. Coinmart, ANACS, or early PCGS ? Would this not skew the data somewhat? As a collector I would gladly pay for up to date transactions (last 5 or 10) so that I could make an informed decision. The information that I seek seems to be up a mountain somewhere and I have to climb over Trends, Charlton, Ebay sold feature, C&C and others. If I could go to a site laid out like so:
1936 Dollar MS 65 blast white

$365USD + hammer. Heritage Auctions Sept. 10, 2009
$315CDN Ebay.com
$380CDN +hammer. Colonial Acres Auction Aug. 12, 2009

This hobby/business seems adept at hiding the truth and a someone who has re-entered after a long absence I need accurate information to make an informed decision. I would gladly pay a monthly subscription or for a per coin option.
Rob
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lightw4re to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins Thank you for your comment! Really appreciated.

@CanadaPennies19 We made the necessary adjustments. Thanks for catching that.

@inconnu We are working on showing specific data on auction sales and we will let you know when this new feature will be available. http://www.coinsandcanada.com will always be free.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALL Canadian coin price guides are ballparkish, it's just a matter of degree.
ALL catalogues of varieties and errors are are incomplete and inaccurate, some more than others.
That said, Lightw4re, your two sites contain far more useful information for Canadian coin and note collectors than any others online, absolutely nothing else even comes close.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/22/2019 3:21 pm
Valued Member
Canada
491 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins and canada is great! There is a lot of room for improvement and I think a combination of many sources is the key to picking up the right coins. I am sure for the future this website will be better. Willing to contribute ideas to make it better for all of us!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05