Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Ancient Coins From North India, With Help Needed Also.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  7:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dundun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Dear all,

I got some coins during my trip to India, in Delhi.

I guess the 1st one is from Kushan, 2nd and 3rd one from Bactria?

and I have no idea what about the last 2 coin.

Anyone has some clue of ancient indian coins?

Thanks in advance!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15868 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, they are all cast fakes, made for the tourist trade.
Learn More...
United States
22565 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The only one that might be genuine is the Kushan, but it needs to be cleaned a little to tell for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3414 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, unfortunately, they are all cast copies with the possible exception of the first (as echizento stated). But at least they already have loops. So, you could at least have some neat key chains. I just hope that you didn't pay much for them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10085 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  02:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2340 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'd go with the top one being a cast fake as well. The detail, such as they are, look poorly formed.
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fourth item is a Sikh temple token. See about halfway down the page at

http://sikhcoin.blogspot.com/2014/0...-punjab.html

The fifth item is a Muslim temple token imitating an Akbar rupee.

I agree that items 2 and 3 look like copies.

Yes, the first is Kushan, and in my opinion could be authentic. Possibly Vima Kadphises?

http://www.coinindia.com/galleries-...dphises.html

You might want to browse through the Kushan pages at coinindia.com to look for a match.
Edited by Seeker55
09/15/2019 12:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10518 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forun.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dundun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks all for the feedback and welcome! thanks Seeker55 for the details and link!

I am not surprised to know they are fake, since I have no knowledge of coins!

However, I am still happy to learn some history of north india and its links to ancient China and greek/roman. It's facinating history!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15868 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect fake ancient coins to learn how to identify them, for my protection. All of those pictured, to my eye, are very obviously fakes. All are very similar in fabric the the fakes that I have.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dundun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sel_69I.:)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05