Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help. 1976 Kennedy No Mint, No Initials...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add atomicbiscut1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to this. I cant find anything on the SBH designer initials missing above the "R" in dollar on the back. The mint missing on the front I found info about..any help would be appreciated

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atomicbiscut1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the same coin,lighting bad. I can post more pics if you all need.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17373 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
please try a few better photos if you can. Straight on both sides with the photos upright and trimmed of background.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your probably also going to want a nice clear picture of where the initials would be. Missing designers initials seem to be highly collectible but I think they are caused by a grease fill usually, which is a pretty common error. Which youre coin might have slight signs but it's hard to tell from your pics.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atomicbiscut1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[size=3]thank you. Do these pics work?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15818 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Initials are there but worn, no mintmark on the obv because it was made in Philadelphia. Philadelphia didn't start using a mintmark on US coins (other then the war nickels) until 1979 on SBA dollars and the 1980 on everything except cents.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
77227 Posts
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so here are my 50 cents:

The coin you have is beat-up, and possibly struck weakly, but that may be because of the wear on the coin. It is bad. Scratches everywhere and no luster. I can very clearly see the initials on the front of the coin, on Kennedy. That is very much there.

Philipelida half dollars just don't have mint marks, so not only is that extraordinarily common, but it is on purpose and not an error.

Now, as for a missing reverse initial. I see it faintly, and because of how bad the coin is beaten up, I'm going to say it was stuck with it, although maybe lightly, but is now so worn it is almost gone, which means its damage and not a mint error, adding no value. I could sandpaper the initials offs if I wanted to (don't), that would remove value, not add.

Face value, I'd say. Nothing is rare with the coin, just damaged in circulation.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05