Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Tale Of Three...coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  5:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HexagonalCrank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I inherited a large coin collection a while ago and decided to take the "choicer" pieces to CCCS for grading to protect them and whomever inherits them have an easier time dealing with them.. I chose CCCS because they they offered hard slabbing and Louis was a personable fellow.

I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment and some of the items are giving me a hassle.

This is a 1858 20cent piece which is pretty straight forward. I do not know how to handle the next two pieces:

This piece is marked as Medal, Plain Edge but is similar to the original apart from the orientation. The next piece:

is also marked Medal, Plain Edge but has a large date unlike the other two. When I inherited the collection, the inventory referred to these as "Pattern, Proof", but I am still unsure of how they should be considered. Any thoughts?
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first one have the edge reeded like the business strike emission ( like a modern 10 and 25 cents ) and the two others have the edge plain, only found in the specimen format ( the edge is similar to the modern 5 cents )

The last coin is a rare pattern of a province of canada 20 cents coin with the reverse design of a New Brunswick 20 cents coin ( PC-4 ). Strange how CCCS didn't mentioned it...

I don't think there is any variation in the design between the 2 edge's varieties ( the two sp-62 ).

Very nice, unusual coins !
Edited by Dollar 1935
09/17/2019 7:44 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8608 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That bottom one looks like the Trial Piece Charlton # PC-4. That is worth some considerable money. I would take it back to Louis at CCCS and ask him to correct the label on that one!!

Very nice, first one I have seen in a long time...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins!

Both the reeded edge and PC-4 coins are pretty rare!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful coins
Thanks for sharing
As mentioned you really need to have the last one correctly attributed.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
996 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, very cool. Definitely not the run of the mill inheritance.

If you have more of this kind of "choice" stuff and are planning g to sell, you may wish to consider PCGS for grading.

Very nice coins though, hope we get to see more.
Valued Member
Canada
128 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome coins...just awesome.....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1324 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third one has the New Brunswick reverse beautiful coins
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HexagonalCrank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much everyone. The replies have allowed me to process what I was dealing with! XD

I had about 700 pieces graded and slabbed by CCCS mainly for protection and so whomever inherits it has a better experience dealing with it than I have had. No interest in selling or in regrading - it sounds like most people "in the know" don't care what the grading companies say anyway and prefer to judge coins they buy with their own eyes. I'll probably post some of the other interesting pieces later as time and my limited photography skills permit.
Valued Member
Canada
233 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4mile123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins. Your photography skills are just fine and I am looking forward to seeing what you might post next.
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins and would love to see more. These are good honest pictures of the coins especially through the plastic. I'm sure Louis will be happy to fix the label.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those sure are beautiful coins. Congratulations!
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are absolutely stunning!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05