Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello Everyone! I Am New To All Of This, And Was Hoping For Some Guidance.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  01:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wendyru to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, like I said I'm new to all of this and had a couple questions. Without going into to much detail, life just wasn't going good for me, but I noticed every step I took just about, I was seeing a penny. So after a couple days of this, of course I had to start picking them up! Didn't really know what to do with them after, still struggling a little about how to store them all now lol. Once I started picking them up and bringing them home, I for the first time in my life know what it means to be passionate about something. I am completely head over heels! Here is where my questions to come in, and was hoping to get some help. I um, can't get out much, and money is definitely an issue, so is internet. But I'm going crazy here, I gotta learn gotta know more , more, more. So is Red Book the way to try and go, so that I can have answers at-home, with no internet? This plastic magnifier THING, is not working for me, and decent priced loupes anyone could recommend? And lastly, for now anyway, with the issues going on in my life, I have developed all kinds of anxiety problems and panic disorder. Now I'm have serious separation anxiety with things, including my coins (oh I'm all about all of them really, but my heart like most newbies I guess, lies with Lincoln's.) so I don't know what to do with them all or how to properly store them. I don't know what the more experienced collector's have, or average amounts, but I really got into the end of this past winter and into spring, and I have a 100 or so of each nickels, (second favorite),dimes, and quarters, but I have close to 3,200 pennies I've found in this short amount of time. I first fell in love with all the shades, and toning of copper, so I'm not to crazy about ones after '82. I do have several of those also though. Someone stole this box I had made just for them, and had all my favorites in. So now my oldest is only a 1934. Anyway any comments back, would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have no idea what I'm doing! I am also a history nut, enjoy the great medal detecting here in the my home "Commonwealth" of Kentucky, have for great kids I love almost as much as Lincoln cents (joking of course)and ya know the normal walk on the beach stuff or whatever lol. Thank you all for any input you all can give! Have a great day!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29436 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Red Book has good general info but the values are about 20% too high. A glass lens loupe is better IMHO than plastic. 10x and a 14x will do you well,a Hastings triplet is best,but a no name doublet works too. Is there a LCS near you? As to storage,the better coins with a premium should go into a 2x2 staple type holder and make sure to flatten down the staples.Hope this little bit of info helps you some.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your coins. Some folks spending thousands of dollars on just one coin may not have as much enjoyment as you are.

The suggestion of putting your better coins in 2x2's is an excellent one. You can also buy 20 pocket binder pages to put them in. Any 3 ring binder will work with them.

If you find coins that you think might be of value post photos of them here, one a time, and we can help with opinions on them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41271 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looking forward to your participation here. Make good use of the Search box above to read past threads on almost any numismatic subject you can think of.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10532 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF, Wendy!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wendyru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I do enjoy it, it has been my life saver. I have no idea what LCS is, but no probably not. If you are thirsty and want a Coke, closest place to get one is 18 minutes away. Even longer if it's after 10 on lol. Closest Walmart even is over 40 minutes. I'm trying to thumb my way around here some, kinda find answers myself. Only problem is, there is to many answers so I keep getting distracted. Not that is bad. I just seen thing's about tokens, that has me excited. I found something I'm thinking is a token a couple months ago, but haven't been able to to figure much out about. It's been driving me crazy since. I found that token, a 1982 Chuckie cheese token, and two flat button's, not including about 30 memorial. Probably the best day I'll ever have MD!
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! In two words? Coin board. Cardboard folders with holes to organize a store your Lincolns by date/mint mark. Whitman, Dansco and others available at coin dealers, on line or at coin shows. Almost ever collector has at some point had these.

Check out the links to the left. Tons of information and great reading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum! I am pretty new here myself, but these folks are great and are willing to help with almost anything.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05