Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Dot One Cent !! 3RD Party Grading Worthy ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinz222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,
I have in my possession what seems to me and others on fbook coin
groups to be an authentic or atleast impressive looking Dot 1936 penny. The dot is raised and in the correct position lining up with
the tips of the 3 of the date etc. Would very much appreciate opinions especially from seasoned members/collectors/numismatists here regarding authentic and/or counterfeit impressions of the coin and mainly opinions on whether or not the coin is worthy of sending off to be authenticated/graded. Received some very exciting comments on fbook group, few mentioning it looks genuine, few recommendations to have it authenticated, one gentlemen insisting l do that in person "stressing" that l shouldnt lose sight of it etc, with only one lady (very amateur) collector calling it a fake. (Whats IMPORTANT is the advice/opinions l hope to receive here though)...with again my main query revolving around the coin being worthy of 3rd party authentication or not?
I have ofcourse done much research regarding this coin since acquiring it a month ago and would like to mention some interesting factors learned(main one being the noticable difference in One of the 3 known auctioned specimens being of a "thicker" date/lettering and also consisting of a larger Dot....as shown in a few of the lighter coloured pictures added which were from coinsandcanada site and coin comminty l believe)...like to point out a few noticable similarities with coin and mine, such as, the identical shape, thickness,and exact placement/position of each numeral in the date, the two cud-type marks within the C in CENT on both coins, aswell as the similarities of the aE in CENT,..the very noticable Double crossbar in the first A in CANADA on both coins, along with the alround rougher texture of the planchet/coins, the same sized larger Dots etc.
Lastly, according to an in-depth article regarding the "Pittman" specimens(which i'll add to the comments once found if l may) there is mention of many thin scratches/lines in the fields due to over polishing of the dies(scratches noticable in fields on my coin under magnification) and most interesting, there is mention of some noticable "planchet roughness" beside the top left corner of the right maple leaf on the coin, which can be seen quite clearly on mine and on the known auctioned coin, same area om both coins. The main thing which has me struck is the Double type crossbar/lines in the first A in Canada on both coins :) would love to know what do you guys make of that in particular? Lastly regarding there apparently being many counterfeits of this coin, l myself cannot for the life of me find a single photo or article of one on the web. Can anybody here tell me why that may be or if perhaps you have seen or know of one and/or possibly share a link regarding counterfeit 1936 Dot Cents please!!

My apologies for the rant and swamping the post with so many pictures I'm just excited about sharing this and guessing the more pictures for everyone to scrutinize the better in terms of helping with making firmer opinions, each and all of which will be keenly awaited and very much appreciated :) ....Thank You in advance, l hope you all enjoy the post regardless of this turning out to be the REAL DEAL for me or Not;

Cheers,Tommy.

Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinz222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinz222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the pictures of the known auctioned specimen to compare my coin with which somehow werent uploaded with the initial post :/ my apologies.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
994 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks a little fishy, but might be the pictures. The obv looks a little mushy and the dot seems a bit right of center. Dont have my books in front of me to compare. If real, congrats and cool.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first, off. where did you acquire the coin from, that will help us out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...cent_rev.jpg

Here is a nice photo of a real one.

Your coin looks off, numbers are to wide, strike looks to weak.
The only 3 known coins are all specimen strikes. Not to say yours isn't real, it just doesn't appear to me to be a match, with the know examples.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1178 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP's coin is counterfeit. Not a high quality one either.
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinz222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverwolf, l certInly agree with you in regards to it not being a match with that particular example (which l have seen and studied during research)...definitely thinner lettering etc,...however I'm referring to mine being an identical match with the other "thicker" specimen pictured above in my comment after initial post. Which cotrect me if I'm wrong is supposedly a photo of a Real, authentic Dot penny that was auctioned off,...l think for $275,000 I recall.

That specimen is definitely thicker date/lettering etc than the specimen in the photo you provided, and ldk it looks an exact match with mine. Also matching with the few pointers noticed and mentioned, I.e. the double crossbar in the first A on both coins, roughness near right maple leaf etc.

Not sure if you perhaps didnt read through my entire rant on it though I'm sorry,lol;

...again l do agree and understand that there are thinner dated/lettered specimens, apparently only One Thicker type (pictured above) as with mine.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4352 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a chance at 300k just send it to PCGS for a 200 dollar investment, almost sure the dot cents were custom made for a specific collector by the mint master of the time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1606 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinz222 here is a photo for you. this was a forgery sent in to be tested. I know a gentleman that works for the Royal Canadian Mint. he told me that. there is even coins that have been drilled. an melted copper poured in the holes to create a dot. believe me they check these very thoroughly. here is and image for you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1606 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is an image of a real 1936 dot penny.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41234 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is unlikely a genuine example.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is a Chinese-made counterfeit.
There is no doubt whatsoever.
The main marker is the bridge of the nose on the obverse.
These coins are available for about $3 on the site which we cannot mention.
Lots of pics there for comparison.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/18/2019 5:15 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8605 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

100% Chinese counterfeit.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
op never replied to where the coin was obtained from either?
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% fake. I immediately look to the exact same place as DBM, bridge of the nose is a great marker for this series on so many counterfeit coins.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05