Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P & 2000 D Sacagawea Dollar Re-grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2cents4dollars to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to coin collecting, but I have found a revitalizing sudden interest in the study of money and coins. My interest is not necessarily for the collector aspect, but mainly for the monetary rewards and the "joy of the hunt."

I know that this probably wasn't the best idea to begin with, but I purchased (2) Sacagewea dollars from a local pawn shop. Both are in really good condition. They are incapsulated in SGS plastic grading containers. Both graded MS70:

One is a 2000 P -No injured eagle...no cheerios

One is a 2000 D

Based off of auctions from PCGS it seems these coins could be valuable if they rated near the MS70 mark.

My question is...Should I resubmit the coins for regrading, then perhaps send them to Heritage Auctions? Side note: These are my 1st (2) mint purchased coins, so any suggestions for auction houses or assistance with the process would be greatly appreciated.

oh...I paid $16 for both coins. good/bad?

Thanks for all your input!

Edited by 2cents4dollars
09/20/2019 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5451 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SGS is a garbage grading company. In all reality a SGS MS70 is a PCGS MS65. Not worth it, leave your money
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20085 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen SGS MS70s that were not even MS. Especially Morgans, seen many sliders in MS70 SGS slabs. Gallery grading too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
781 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. There were so many of this date minted and most never circulated. There are most likely a ton of coins out there that are just as good or better than these examples. Unless they have no visible flaws whatsoever, they are not worth sending in.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12476 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS and NGC at the top tier TPGs, then there is ANACS and ICG. If it isn't one of those treat it as a raw coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both PCGS and NGC would bring the highest prices at auction. Sticking with the mentioned, for you to cross them over would require a membership with PCGS (NGC as well) plus the fees to have them graded. So, factoring in what you paid you're somewhere north of 100 dollars for the pair.

A check of the PCGS site shows the following.
2000p 4 graded in MS69, none higher
2000d 2 graded MS69, none higher

I would agree with the above as them coming back graded lower. MS65/66 appears to be where the bulk lie. Both of these averaged around $22-$28 at auction in those grades (Heritage, Great Collections, Stack's).
Taking a chance at one coming back as MS69 and you'd break even. As always, it's a risk.

Still, I'd keep them as is since they appear to be nice examples. As to what you paid? Fair.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12476 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both PCGS and NGC would bring the highest prices at auction. Sticking with the mentioned, for you to cross them over would require a membership with PCGS (NGC as well) plus the fees to have them graded.

To expand on this NGC only lets you cross PCGS slabs. PCGS will let you try to cross any slab you want but when dealing with basement slabs it is best to remove the coin and send it in raw, especially since there is a 0% chance that would grade MS 70 at PCGS.

There's really nothing gained having the coins in that slab, if anything it's actually a negative to most people. Regardless of what I was going to do I would remove the coins and put it in a 2x2 or something like that.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2cents4dollars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for all the feedback! Might just hang on to them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've already lost about $13, quit while your behind and don't sink any more money into them.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18574 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep as is. Possibly some day plastic will be rare and then those coins in that slab too will be worth more.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't do anything with them until you learn to grade, that takes time.

Buy the coin not the slab rules both ways. They could be high grade or very low grade, the "graders" at SGS probably had no idea of the actual grade, just labeled them 70.

Only way to be sure is to learn to grade, or take them to a coin show and ask a few dealers for their opinions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there's just no way the coin is actually MS 70 considering of the 10,000 + examples graded by NGC or PCGS, none have graded above MS69. It's just about impossible that SGS got it right.

SGS is not a real third party grading company, it is a seller on Ebay self-slabbing their own inventory as all MS70 which, of course, is impossible in the real world. In actuality your coin probably grades in the MS63-65 range like most fresh from the roll coins do. the coins cost $1 and probably worth a dollar also each, the holder maybe cost him $3.00 from China, so maybe he's got $8.00 into it and sold the pair for $16, not a total rip off but still more than it's worth at possibly $2.00 per raw coin on ebay.

If they were legitimately graded MS70 coins each one would likely sell somewhere about $4000.00 since that what MS69 gets for people for their registry sets.

if they were legit MS-70 they'd be one of a kind and worth tens of thousands of dollars, and not sold for $16.00 for the pair even back in 2000.

Good/bad? you could have lost a lot more money on this than $16.00 (or in your case about $12.00 in overpaying). you didn't do too bad considering how it could have went.
but they just aren't MS70 and won't get anywhere near that if you sent it for grading from an actual third party grading company.

actual grade likely of MS63-MS65 and might be $2.00-$6.00 per coin if you could find a buyer for them at those grades, and they looked nice and BU shiny. like I said you didn't grossly overpay but they aren't MS70 as they are represented to be.

It could be much worse if he had had his friends bid up his auctions to juice you on the price let's say and get you into that hundreds or thousands category where legitimate MS70 examples really belong.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10659 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SGS is not a real third party grading company, it is a seller on Ebay self-slabbing their own inventory as all MS70

SGS has been out of business for several years now. But there are still a lot of their basement tier slabs out there on the market.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05