Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 Barber Half Dollar W/ O Mint - Send For Grading?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  01:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shaw119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening. I found this coin on a farm that has been in my family for 5 generations. I would like to know your thoughts on whether I should send it for grading. It appears to be in beautiful condition but I am not an expert. I would appreciate your opinions on grade and approximate value although I have no intention of selling this heirloom item. It is quite possible my Great Grandfather or Grandmother lost this coin while enjoying the shade of a small tree that is much older and larger now.

Thank you all in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found where? It doesn't exactly look like its been in the ground.

Since it looks cleaned id say maybe $80 raw, but thats a guess really.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this on edge at 12 inches while metal detecting. Other than wiping the dirt off this is how it came out of the ground.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better pictures with improved lighting

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an awesome find. If you are not going to sell it the only reason I can see to get it graded is if you wanted it to be slabbed. I personally would put it in an airtight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for a grade vf35 maybe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4650 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF, cleaned, but still a nice find!

And ........... to the Community!
Edited by westernsky
09/21/2019 03:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11593 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent find . I agree to VF-35 A $150- $200 coin retail , not harshly cleaned .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41293 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 sounds right, but I can't get a good handle on whether it's been cleaned.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7653 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree with the others. put it in an airtight and enjoy it. although the coin is VF it does not warrant slabbing and will most likely come back as a details coin. this means its either been cleaned or environmental damage from being in the ground. the original surfaces have been removed from being buried over the years. cool find
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35, hard to tell from these photos if it was cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found this on edge at 12 inches while metal detecting. Other than wiping the dirt off this is how it came out of the ground.

How'd you get the dirt off?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It came out of the ground very clean. I spit on it and rub with my thumb in the field. When I got to the house I used a soft damp towel and lightly brushed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I spit on it and rub with my thumb in the field

So whey you rub dirt off, In any way, you are pushing those dirt particles up against the coin in order to get them to move. There is sand in most dirt, which can contain particles that are harder than the coin.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how should I get debris off the coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So how should I get debris off the coin?

I don't think I can give you a good answer on that. My apologies. If you mean just to look at the date, you might be ok gently rinsing it with water.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05