Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member To The Community Needing Help Valuing A Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  2:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Continuity? I'm a new member looking for help to determine the value of a 1597 Transylvania 1 Thaler. I wasn't able to find enough definitive information through my online search. Ice attached a picture, any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Edited by HRob
09/24/2019 5:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
78214 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10888 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Full pics please!

Check this out:

https://www.coinshome.net/search.ht...a+1+Thaler.+

Edited by Dorado
09/24/2019 4:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the closest info I could find: https://www.NGCcoin.com/auction-cen...oinid-762423
Pillar of the Community
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That's an interesting coin you have! I was able to find this reference to an auction sale back in 2012 of one in much better condition (AU-58): http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/T...ler_Dav-8808
The fact that we can find more recent sales of 1591, 1593, 1594 and 1595 thalers but not yours may mean it is a more scarce type.

Yours is several grades lower (probably F to VF), but it also looks like it has a hole (or an attempt at a hole that did not go completely through)? A hole will significantly reduce the value compared to an unholed specimen, but if it is a scarce coin (which I suspect for yours), there will still be collectors with limited budgets who are interested in a holed example.
My guess is that an unholed specimen might fetch $500 or so in this condition, and that yours might find a buyer at $100-200. But the value of a coin with damage like that is very tough to guess accurately.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updated pictures and yes there is a hole in the coin. Thanks for the information provided

Edited by HRob
09/24/2019 8:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16000 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin.
They are found with holes for suspension around the neck.

I occasionally collect holed coins when the price is right.
A holed coin of this type would suffer a drop in value of as much as 80%, compared to an undamaged example of the same condition.

Because it is interesting, lower condition and holed, the OP's coin may interest a potential buyer on a lower budget.

Valued Member
Turkey
112 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if it had no holes I would doubt to buy this coin. It has the same aspect with the fake coins we oftenly face in market. This coin wouldnt age like this..

Check below for details
http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/T...ler_Dav-8808
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05