Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Indian Silver Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  6:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadianCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone! First time poster here. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out in identifying this seemingly silver rupee? I've down my own research but am finding it difficult to come to a conclusive answer. Any help would be appreciated!
Diameter: 2.5cm
Thickness: 0.5cm

Edited photos. They seem to get auto rotated when uploaded

Edited by CanadianCoin
09/24/2019 7:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Numista!

Yes, a Mughal-era silver rupee. Appears to have the date AH 1119, which would put it into the first year of the reign of Shah Alam I. However, in a quick look through his rupees I'm not seeing a match. Perhaps someone else will be able to read it better. For best readability both photos should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise, and cropped.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadianCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply and the welcome Seeker! I had a feeling it was from around then as well, but also couldn't find an exact match. Appreciate the input!
Went ahead and rotated/cropped for better future viewing
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good, you have greatly improved the clarity of the photos, and now I can see that the date actually appears to be AH 1139, putting it into the reign of Muhammad Shah. AH 1139 would also correspond to his ninth regnal year, with the number nine in the lower center of the first photo confirming this. Looking though the rupees of Muhammad Shah in "South Asian Coins and Paper Money" I didn't see a match, so can't tell the mint. Maybe someone more familiar with these will be able to.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Managed to find your coin by searching Zeno

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=148023

Mint Shahjahanabad, "Sahib Qiran Sani" couplet, KM 473.4

Also, realized that I recently saw another example of this coin at

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...46732.0.html
Edited by Seeker55
09/25/2019 8:26 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05