Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926 (Far 6)? Plating Error Or PMD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a large lot of coins and this was included. Labeled far 6. I don't have the eye I once had and I'm unable to determine if this is intact a far six.

There's also something going on behind the kings head. Is this PMD or some sort of plating or lamination error.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7653 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Far 6
With the green spot it's looking like your coin is suffering from PVC damage.
Clean it ASAP with acetone to prevent further damage, it is quite heavily damaged..
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DBM how do I go ahead with the acetone cleaning. Are those marks due to PVC damage. I know the green is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7653 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put the acetone in two small glass containers.
Place the coin in the first acetone container and leave it in for a couple of minutes.
Lift the coin with tweezers or such and rub the spot with a q-tip if needed.
Repeat as necessary.
Finally, rinse the coin in the second container of clean acetone.
Any residual acetone will evaporate quickly.
Make sure you follow all of the safety precautions for use of acetone and dispose of it responsibly when finished.
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks DBM

Still looking for opinions on the damage. Was this damaged from the acetone or struck like this
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7653 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't struck like that.
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a coin I've seen lately on eBay. The seller called it an error coin. A decent Far 6 but with issues.Given the number of such series coins appearing with distracting meter marks it simply joins a large family.
Learn More...
Canada
8653 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Corrosive peeling - not an error.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
953 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have guessed strike through.
Tell me SPP, how does one tell the difference?
Thx
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had it on eBay as a lamination error. I had an offer but informed the seller that it was most likely a damaged coin. Seller still wanted it but I offloaded it for cheaper. I'm not a fan of problem coins. I didn't pay anything for it as it was a part of a large group lot I purchased. Thanks everyone for you help!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05