Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sudanese Coin Date Question (20 Qirsh 1895)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
237 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  06:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stratocaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to KM#26.1, this coin is from AD 1895, which corresponds to 1312 AH. The year of the reign (12) is ignored. Or does the number above represent something else on Sudanese coins?

This also does not match the accession date of Abdallahi ibn Muhammad Al-Khalifa of Sudan [1885-1899].

Coin is 18.70g, 34.30mm.

Can anyone shed a light on this please?

Also any idea of the grade of this coin?

Many thanks!

Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, good attribution and interesting coin. My Krause World Coins 19th century lists a 1312/12 version of this 20 Piastres coin, mint Omdurman.
I do see several date combinations listed which don't correspond to regnal years.
I was thinking that maybe if Abdullah ibn Mohammed took power in very early 1885 and the coin was struck in very late 1895, and accounting for the shorter lunar year, it might be RY 12, but this doesn't quite work (still only 11 years).

Personally I would grade this coin VF, with a (probably normal) weak strike at spots around the edge.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
237 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stratocaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Seeker!

So I dug deeper and found a couple of interesting articles about these coins (links below).

According to these, the coin is indeed from AH 1312 / AD 1895. 12 is simply the number of years since AH 1300. The coin masters at the time were copying Ottoman "Medjidie" dollars (20 Piaster coins) and some of them were simply confused by the meaning of the two numbers (accession and regnal years). So they just counted years since the start of the century. This also happened to be when the Khalifa was meant to begin his rule according to prophecies. In some cases, the coin masters were just integrating the number into the design.

The articles report a very messy situation regarding the minting process, with many coin masters having limbs amputated as punishment for counterfeiting coins, which led to unskilled workers having to take over the job. Each was using a new "recipe", sometimes involving just molten cutlery. In turn, this led to more amputations and people unable to carry on their duties.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/417157...tab_contents
https://www.jstor.org/stable/426797...tab_contents
Edited by stratocaster
09/28/2019 1:15 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05