Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984-P Spitting Eagle Quarter - Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,130Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedDragon9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking through a stack of quarters and I found a 1984-P Spitting Eagle Quarter. I ask if it's fake because I can't seem to find another one for this year after looking around on the internet and also because it just doesn't look quite right. What do you guys think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4605 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "spitting eagle" to me. This can happen on any Washington quarter as it is a die clash. It was given that name so it would sell easier. Still it's a neat find!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The clash mark is from Washington's throat on the obverse. You can see more of the clash between the eagle's beak and the U.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedDragon9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I see it know. I looked closer at the coin comparing it to another quarter and I can see the die clash on a few spots on the coin as well as a spot on the other side.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RedDragon9, here's an overlay of a Washington quarter. You should be able to use it to identify the clash marks on your coin.

to CCF! Nice find and great first post!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin.
Is the die gouge extending upwards of the beak, too? If so, spit only goes down due to gravity. You might start a new name for your eagle "Hunting Eagle." Looks like your eagle is ready to feast on whatever is in its beak.
This is a fun hobby. You can give a name to your new find.
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Yokozuna.
The overlays you provided were real good.
Just a question about the throat of GW posing as the source of "spit" and that overlay showed no leaf to the left of the throat. If you look at the 4th pic of RedDragon9, it's showing 2/3 leaves.
Thanks for the good info, CoinHunter27.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,130Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05