Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time To Upgrade My Camera?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  6:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, l understand that the beauty of a true photo relies on the photographer and also his camera & lens. l've been using my Canon 550D for 9 years now and was wondering if it's time to upgrade but most importantly will it help the quality of my imagery?

I've been educated by you all that actually a crop frame is better than a full frame for macro photography so have been looking at Canon's new 90D, on paper and by specs alone it sounds incredible,

Couple of notes: Cost isn't a major concern and I don't want to move away from Canon since all my lenses are EF Canons. Primarily the camera will be used for coin macro photography but also (perhaps 20%) on nature and other photography.

Here's a comparison between the 2 cameras: https://cameradecision.com/compare/...non-EOS-550D
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1640 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is quit the camera. I have and eos 70D it works great. that upgrade is worth it. you have agreat one can not wait to see your photos. good luck
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you soooo much Rocky! And you're right I'm really excited! I still consider myself an amateur, but would the 90D make a good macro camera? I'm still trying to understand about the sensor size etc and I think I read that while the sensor size is the same but because of the higher resolution the 90Ds pixels are much smaller, does that mean they'd capture less light and as such not that great photos?
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Macro is all in the lens. What type of lens do you have?
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple: Sigma 180mm f2.8, and Sigma 150mm f3.5 and Canon 100mm f2.8 L ... but I do want to make sure that the camera will take full advantage of the lens abilities
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess my question is more around the camera and whether it's an optimal one for macro photography...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6451 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How's the EFSC/EFCS on the 90D? Some cameras work better than others for macro because of this.
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure to be honest, and as usual forgive my ignorance but would it natter since I'll be (hopefully) using my iPad to control the camera and take the shot / if not I'll do computer tethering
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a good sharp lens then the 90d looks like a great improvement.

Personally when I upgraded I bought then sharpest lens possible and just bought last years camera used.

Canons 100mm f/2.8 is very sharp they are built great and last forever.
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looking some reviews online it seems that the 90D has 3 options for shutter mode: mechanical, electronic and electronic first curtain https://camerajabber.com/how-to-use...nic-shutter/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3149 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to upgrade my camera for more than 5 years now, with no luck. In trying to stay with Canon, I purchased a 5DSR, but the pixel level image quality was not any better than my T2i. The 5DSR has a special high resolution mode, but it's just a small-radius sharpening mode that can be implemented on any image. I have considered going Nikon but I don't expect much better performance than the 5DSR. Last year I tried the Sony A7Rm3, which on paper was a coin photogs dream camera. I do like mirrorless for their short register distance, and the A7Rm3 has EFSC, and pixel shifting. But the unfortunately the pixel-shifted images looked very unnatural due to the software over-sharpening the image. The user could not turn off this ghastly effect. Supposedly Sony has fixed the problem with their newest version of the Imaging Edge software, and they now have the A7Rm4 with a 16-image pixel-shift mode, and 61MP single images. I'm thinking seriously about going with this one, but the T2i is still going strong and I expect the A7Rm4 to be just a small improvement. The real impetus for going with a new camera will be if I can ever build my Stack and Stitch system, which will benefit greatly from a FF camera. Once I do that, I expect to upgrade fairly quickly since I'll need to do a 15-image (3x5) panorama with APS-C camera, and can get that down to a 6-image (2x3) with a FF camera. That's where the A7Rm4 will give me some benefit, but until then I will be happy with the T2i.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're so diligent Ray I love it! I'll try taking some photos of the same coin and same lighting and same lenses with both camera bodies and see if there's much of an improvement... i'll probably rely on your guidance when setting it up of course! ;)
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong here? Same coin, same lens but new camera body (90D) however the new body - despite my attempts to mimic the settings on my older Rebel 550D - seems to be showing the coin with a lot less colour vibrancy ... any ideas what I've done wrong?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18s...?usp=sharing
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look very good to me. Sharp focus, nice contrast, and well cropped. I do not have the coin in hand, and therefore what color is lacking.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pictures look great. You should be asking how accurately it shows the coin itself.
Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moheb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ham1947 and Sasquatch, that's a very good question .. I feel the coin is somewhere in between ... it doesn't have a lot of red as the old photo on the right shows but it's a little more colorful than the one on the left both are underexposed 2/3 of a stop, is my lighting OK in your opinion?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05