Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying This Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  05:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eric ramsdell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4194 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roman Antioch, Syria. Tyche turreted right, lighted and garlanded altar, date mark below, minted 60-130 AD, but I reckon it matches well with this issue from the reign of Vespasian:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/gree..._II_2020.jpg
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ben;

Very well done! Those were the years they made poor Tyche have Vespasians heavyset manly profile which was bizarre but understandable from a political standpoint I imagine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Tyche have Vespasians heavyset manly profile which was bizarre

At the risk of appearing to highjack the thread (sorry, Eric), let's go one-up on the bizarre. How about a bearded, transgender god that might be Tyche - or perhaps just an odd mash-up of Tyche and Zeus?

On the Parthian tets of Phraates II, die engravers referenced the Tyche reverses of Demetrios I Soter and the Zeus reverses of Alexander I Balas of the Seleukid Empire. The Parthians had supplanted the Seleukids in that part of Western Asia but, at least early on, tried to copy the regional Greek archetypes for the coinage. The models for the reverse are:

Well, note what happened on the unique reverse of Phraates II's tetradrachms:

As Vesta Sarkhosh Curtis points out in Religious Iconography on Ancient Iranian Coins, "The religious iconography of the Hellenistic Tyche figure was clearly unfamiliar to the Arsacid court and the (Parthian) die engraver at the end of the second century BC, as otherwise the attributes of a female goddess would not have been used for a clearly male figure."

As CNG states it, "The god depicted on the reverse of these tetradrachms appears on no other Parthian coin, and apparently nowhere else...Such a representation of a transgender pantheistic deity is very unusual in ancient art. One wonders if the artist...simply misunderstood the types he was copying."
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=131058

Mine: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ga...radrachm.jpg

Edited by Bob L
10/06/2019 10:20 am
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eric ramsdell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Ben found Almost Exact match Syria, Seleucid and Pieria, Under Roman Rule - Antioch mint, dated year 127 (77-78 AD), Caesarian Era - Turreted bust Tyche / Altar - RPC II, 2020

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels...-rpc-ii-2020
Edited by eric ramsdell
10/08/2019 03:37 am
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eric ramsdell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2768 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the comparison pictures it is at least obvious that the date should be the same as on the other coin - the weird vaguely ς-shaped symbol that I couldn't place is the stigma (aka the numeric digamma), i.e. the digit 6.

(...Yes, 6. I'm not sure how did they get 127 out of that. I suspect that both coins are 126.)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05