Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Best Book On Canada Small Cent Errors And Varieties?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking around for a book that covers all errors and varieties found in Canada Small Cent coinage. Something dedicated to just the pennies. Something that covers all the strike types, Business, PL, SP, and Proof.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing out there that is so comprehensive.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is not much out there...

James Croghan was probably the first to attempt this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANADIAN-C...323921710645

Zoell catalogues do have some, but you have to learn to sift through the minor stuff like dir damage. Some of Zoell's works (Unusual Objects newsletters, had some interesting errors).

The 70th edition Charlton Catalogue had a variety section dedicated to small cent varieties (which I hastily wrote at the 11th hour for Bill Cross, in what would be his last edition, before selling Charlton Press). These are true die varieties - not the errors (machine doubling, clashes, etc.). I argued a lot with Bill Cross on some things about this one, but changes were almost always tough to make once they were entrenched in earlier catalogues.

More recently (2018), Christian Houle took a stab at trying to include absolutely everything in small cents, from 1953 to 2012. A lot of my error coins are featured in his book. It covers almost every iteration of errors and die damage, like doubling, clashes, etc. It is available as a hard copy (limited printing) and USB stick.
https://coinsweekly.com/guide-to-er...adian-coins/

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you know, the possibility for mint errors is almost endless. There was a small book published in 1995 by Terry Campbell on Canadian errors... take it at face value, but the old mint photos are cool, and there are a lot of examples of 1-cent error coins in this book:
http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca/imag...scampbel.jpg

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! :)
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another question for you. You answered a post, years ago, about where to find Specimen Strike pennies. You said most of the 1960s pennies could be found in leather-bound cases, but a few pennies found in PL sets were minted using SP dies. You said the grading companies give these coins a Proof (PR) or Specimen (SP) grade because they have a superior strike. What I want to know is what you meant by superior strike? I am watching a Canada Small Cent graded as a Specimen Strike by ICCS on eBay that is heavily toned and ugly looking. I can tell it is not a Business Strike, but I cannot tell if it is different from the PL Strikes or not. It certainly does not look nice with all that dark toning on it. I have also picked up at coin shows in the USA from a coin dealer that deals in World Coins two Canada Small Cents that he marked Proof. I purchased these coins from the dealer because he said they came from a leather-bound sets and not from a regular PL sets. I am thinking these two pennies could be Specimen Strikes from VIP sets, but how can I tell for sure. One is dated 1964 and the other is dated 1965. However, like the coin on eBay, I do not know how to distinguish the pennies from regular PL Strikes. If a different die was used then does that mean there is a difference? Is there a special diagnostic for telling them apart that the grading companies are using? I have hundreds of 1964 and 1965 pennies from PL sets. Some have better strikes than others or look better. Some have slightly thinker rims. You also said that some of the PL pennies were struck using SP dies thus giving them a superior strike. So, what does that mean exactly? How do I specifically tell PL from SP for pennies minted in the 1960s and early 1970s? Last, my friend showed me in an old Charlton that the book stated that no Specimen Strike pennies exist for the 1960s and that all pennies found in VIP sets in the 1960s were PL Strikes. Is this an error in his old Charlton book? It is about 15 or 16 years old, I think.
Learn More...
Canada
8607 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way to quantify this, other than experience handling the coins. Once you have held an early George V, George VI or Elizabeth specimen in your hand, it will look like nothing else you have seen for that given date. The fields will be like blinding mirrors, even when toned, the edges will feel like they could almost cut your skin. It is, a superior strike. That means higher pressures on the dies and a slower strike speed. That said, there were a few years where the mint took working dies and polished the crap out of them... 1951 is the best example.

https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/geor...=30440&h=pop

Couple of points:
You will not find a 1964 1c in specimen strike. They simply don't exist. You only find them in 1965, 1967, 1969 for the 1960s.

1965 is very tough, but you are in luck, there is one coming up for auction at the fall Torex (Oct 26): https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa.../177/lot/530

1969 is even tougher, I am still trying to get my hands on one.

1970 is easy to get, there were about 1000 VIP sets made. The Double Dollar Prestige sets have specimen coins from 1971 onwards, but 1973 is a real tough one to get fully red - that red fluff used in those sets have either toned or destroyed completely a lot of coins. Buying sets from very dry climates may help the hunt.

The Charlton book was always rife full of errors... it still is... and it is incredibly frustrating trying to get them fixed.

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05